I have a problem making beats

noobz

As a producer, I figured there is a fine timeshift in FL. I've known this feature many moons ago but never really use it until recently, I always find myself tweaking it to get me the right movement on my beats.

What I initially wanted is to record in real-time, but I could never get the right movement without using the fine timeshift. I wonder why?

Does any of you have this issue or is it just me?

I am a keyboardist and I know quite a bit about music theory. I could play, but no matter how many take I record, I don't have the right movement unless I use the timeshift. Weird don't you think? Is this how music suppose to be? In other words, music doesn't come natural. You have to craft it.

Best,
Noobz

Hmmm really? But I could move the midi notes back to the grid and the movement still isn't there unless I increase the timeshift. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
To be honest, it sounds like its probably in your head. No offence.

What happens is that when you start out you think that you are trying to realize some idea in your head, that is built of components of knowledge you have acquired along the way. But the problem is that your doing things in a to literal way.

So you need to go and check your self 1st. The reason is this because, it would never be that every single time you need to play with the gird. Some times things will sound better tight and some times not. But this sounds like you have personal hang up.

Right the thing is, if you are noob you probably don't even know yet the music you are trying to make, let alone how to make it. Your goal should be to learn the general techniques of 1 style of music that you enjoy, then get to a place where you know all the techniques so well you can just enjoy making the music without having to stop all the time or worry about weird "I am genius because of this detail" stuff.

Last edited:
Actually, all outstandingly solid advice from Bobchops ^^^^.

If you are a "trained musician," I will go out on a limb and make the broad assumption that that means "classically trained." So your time conception will be very different than if you had a background in jazz, rock, gospel, r&b, or rap. Throw out all of that perfectionist enslavement to the grid, and concentrate on _groove_. Practice, practice, practice playing along with drums and making your part feel good. The drum tracks can be "play along with" practice CD's, MIDI tracks, sampled beats, loops, drum machine, click track, whatever. Pick out a tune and play along with your favorite record/CD/MP3.

Then be prepared to play it until it sounds right, but try to do that _without adjusting anything on the grid!_ When you can do that, you will know.

GJ

Motu, protools & FL Studio have wait for midi.
Other daws you'd have to time it right when the loop ends while overdubbing.

To be honest, it sounds like its probably in your head. No offence.

What happens is that when you start out you think that you are trying to realize some idea in your head, that is built of components of knowledge you have acquired along the way. But the problem is that your doing things in a to literal way.

So you need to go and check your self 1st. The reason is this because, it would never be that every single time you need to play with the gird. Some times things will sound better tight and some times not. But this sounds like you have personal hang up.

Right the thing is, if you are noob you probably don't even know yet the music you are trying to make, let alone how to make it. Your goal should be to learn the general techniques of 1 style of music that you enjoy, then get to a place where you know all the techniques so well you can just enjoy making the music without having to stop all the time or worry about weird "I am genius because of this detail" stuff.

It's not in my head bro. I know this by taking a cold approach. Take for instance, a simple trap beat with a piano playing. You can do the piano right on the grid no problem, but to get the movement that's where the timeshift comes in. Without the timeshift, the piano would just play forward directly. The timeshift on the snare and hi hats needs to increase a lil bit as well. So it's perfectly find to hit it right on the grid. I'm not saying it's always on the grid, of course you wanna adjust it slightly off the grid as well, but that doesn't mean the movement be there.

Last edited:
It's not in my head bro. I know this by taking a cold approach. Take for instance, a simple trap beat with a piano playing. You can do the piano right on the grid no problem, but to get the movement that's where the timeshift comes in. Without the timeshift, the piano would just play forward directly. The timeshift on the snare and hi hats needs to increase a lil bit as well. So it's perfectly find to hit it right on the grid. I'm not saying it's always on the grid, of course you wanna adjust it slightly off the grid as well, but that doesn't mean the movement be there.

I played keyboard for a long time. Some times when I make beats I will not quantize, some times I will use strength quantize but most of the time for styles like trap or hip hop I will hard quantize.

Trap is the 1 style that is supposed to sound quantized. You might be talking about triplets on the snare rolls or hi hats?

Check it out, i know its not exactly Trap, but my cousin Yosh Chops made that beat using very hard quantize! still sounds fresh to me

SongConquest - Music Talent Contest

Last edited:
Yosh Chops is ok I suppose, but he is not as good as me in 2016...

I didn't want to put my beats on the site because it make people feel afraids to join up.

But maybe I could be an end of level boss?

Attachments

• drone.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • light and fresh.mp3
    862.3 KB · Views: 23
  • sunny day max.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back