I give you these TEN "NEWBIE" COMMANDMENTS

Odessey said:
[/list]During the production process, do you rely on your monitors alone? Or do you use headphones at a minimum level?

I have 2 sets of monitors/speakers so i use the headphones only in rare occasions

breal said:
This was well over due.
Thanks

Actually i wrote this about 4 days ago....It took me about 2 hours. When I hit the "post" button I was no longer LOGGED IN and the entire post disappeared!

I WAS PISSED:mad:

Last edited:
So that people understand ...

I think I can speak for all the regulars when I say that the purpose of these ideas is to IMPROVE the quality of the site as a useful tool for all concerned ... INCLUDING serious newbies.

There are in inordinate number of "drive-by" posts from people who clearly - from the nature of their questions and comments - have ZERO genuine interest in being a part of this community. They just want (or demand) instant answers to questions which are often worded so poorly or exhibit such little common sense that there is simply no rational way to deal with them.

This site is called "Future Producers", and it's about "musicians learning from musicians". If you aren't a musician interested in gaining the level of knowledge and experience to become a producer someday ... you don't belong here. Why is that so hard to understand?

If you have absolute ZERO knowledge of music, and ZERO ability to take constructive criticism or advice, ZERO interest in anything but being spoonfed easy answers to things you don't have any real interest in learning about, and ZERO knowledge to contribute ... you don't belong here. Why is that so hard to understand?

It's not about being mean or elitist. You don't just decide one day to become a carpenter, go on a forum and ask "how I make a house?" (expecting a three sentence answer) and then get pissed because someone won't post up a step-by-step, do you? It's obviously more involved than that, and anyone who doesn't know better is either a child, retarded or otherwise beyond help.

The same thing goes for the "I just brought me a MotifXS and an MPC1000 and a new Mac and a MBOX and Protools and and a Axiom and a FantomXR ... what cables do I get that would be best for making my drums bang and how do I hook it all up to my home stereo and what synth makes that T-Pain effect?" type of poster. God bless them for being able to afford those tools ... but they are either a child, a retard or beyond help ... don't belong here. Why is that so hard to understand?

It's a law of nature ... whatever you feed grows. Let's not feed idiocy and laziness, or we end up with FP being only about lazy idiots.

People - especially hip-hoppers - talk about "keepin' it real" ... let's do that. Bling isn't "real". The videos yous see on BET aren't "real". Acting like a retard on TV is entertaining, but it isn't the "real" hip-hop, and it isn't how "real" producers actually work and get what they got ... ya feel me?

Last edited by a moderator:
dansgold said:
So that people understand ...

I think I can speak for all the regulars when I say that the purpose of these ideas is to IMPROVE the quality of the site as a useful tool for all concerned ... INCLUDING serious newbies.

There are in inordinate number of "drive-by" posts from people who clearly - from the nature of their questions and comments - have ZERO genuine interest in being a part of this community. They just want (or demand) instant answers to questions which are often worded so poorly or exhibit such little common sense that there is simply no rational way to deal with them.

This site is called "Future Producers", and it's about "musicians learning from musicians". If you aren't a musician interested in gaining the level of knowledge and experience to become a producer someday ... you don't belong here. Why is that so hard to understand?

If you have absolute ZERO knowledge of music, and ZERO ability to take constructive criticism or advice, ZERO interest in anything but being spoonfed easy answers to things you don't have any real interest in learning about, and ZERO knowledge to contribute ... you don't belong here. Why is that so hard to understand?

It's not about being mean or elitist. You don't just decide one day to become a carpenter, go on a forum and ask "how I make a house?" (expecting a three sentence answer) and then get pissed because someone won't post up a step-by-step, do you? It's obviously more involved than that, and anyone who doesn't know better is either a child, retarded or otherwise beyond help.

The same thing goes for the "I just brought me a MotifXS and an MPC1000 and a new Mac and a MBOX and Protools and and a Axiom and a FantomXR ... what cables do I get that would be best for making my drums bang and how do I hook it all up to my home stereo and what synth makes that T-Pain effect?" type of poster. God bless them for being able to afford those tools ... but they are either a child, a retard or beyond help ... don't belong here. Why is that so hard to understand?

It's a law of nature ... whatever you feed grows. Let's not feed idiocy and laziness, or we end up with FP being only about lazy idiots.

People - especially hip-hoppers - talk about "keepin' it real" ... let's do that. Bling isn't "real". The videos yous see on BET aren't "real". Acting like a retard on TV is entertaining, but it isn't the "real" hip-hop, and it isn't how "real" producers actually work and get what they got ... ya feel me?

AMEN................100%

I am sure you may have heard the phrase “Jack of all trades, Master of none” Well the object hear is to MASTER the gear that we have and to make only those purchases that are NECESSARY

From Thou Shalt “RESIST THE URGE TO BUY ON IMPULSE"

Hear is the wrong "hear" it should be "here".

budd26 said:
From Thou Shalt “RESIST THE URGE TO BUY ON IMPULSE"

Hear is the wrong "hear" it should be "here".

Thanks.....
I tried to go back and fix all the typos....I guess I forgot one.

Last edited:
Goood post man i saved some of that in my computer to look at every morning thanks alot

:cheers: People really get on my nerves when they ask for help and you cite the manual page and paragraph and they tell you they dont have time to read it, or they lost it, or if you arent going to help, dont post

this should be read by all new members. If you have experience then you'll enjoy reading it, I did it. Plus there's a lot of good info for newbs here. When i was first starting out I wish I would have done my homework on my gear a little more (**** samash), but I know better now.

I also like the part where you tell 'em THEN DONT BUY IT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT DOES.....
very good point.

There should be a basic producer's test before newbies are allowed full posting rights. In today's day and age, there is too much info around to have to explain to some retard exactly what midi is and what quantization is about after they spent over $2000 on a MPC and they refuse to read for themselves.

Extremely well said. I Have been a member for a couple of years now and haven't posted much of anything (apologies) but I have to say I understand that learning your gear before you speak is very important. It will save you not just time but your rep and the road is a long one. I will not name names but I work with two well known producers one with a multi platinum credits and a grammy and the other with platinum credits. Both have worked in the industry for close to a decade and its still a battle. If I can begin to add to the next chapter...... it's don't expect to sell beats by just selling beats. There is a big idea with Newbies that you can pop beats off and labels are just going to buy them. This is sometimes the case, but more times not. In the day of the digital download record labels don't have the budget to throw at "new" producers as they once did. Atlantic and Capital recently announced the introduction of full 360 deals for all new artist(for those that don't know 360 means a cut from everything). Saying that if you plan to just sell cds we will not sign you. Meaning you better be marketable in more than just sound (images, merchandise, concerts). So there tight on the budget as it is. Labels are less likely to take a chance on just "some beat". What labels want from producers are songs, be a producer get a writer put it together from the ground up. Its more appealing to the label and cheaper for them but in the long run more money for you. The more Credits you add to your name on a project the more pay comes your way. All the greats have been doing it and every on deck producer in the game is catching on. Some people take the route of having an artist and try to get them signed, thats one way. The more common way is take all the beats that you feel "have a chance" and get someone to write to it. Then take what songs you feel are really hot and try to shop that instead of just a beat. If you feel you aren't ready to shop yet, its very good training. 1) A&R's don't like to think so a complete good sounding project handed to them is like music to their ears literally. 2) most A&R's don't deliver thats why they have the highest turnover rate in the industry. So don't be depressed if you think you got one off and it comes right back. You have to keep pressing and networking. But if you as a producer can bring to them a complete song written and produced by you and your camp (and its good of course) you have a better chance of getting picked and the A&R's is more than likely to listen to it. Now this may have sounded very advanced for a newbie but its a good thing to bring up because if you know where the game is going to be you can be there waiting for it ready when it gets at ya.

(Oh yea one more thing If you do get a placement have more **** on deck. If that track is a hit, everyone and there mama is going to be callin you for more beats so don't get caught with your pants down, bring the heat!!!!!)

youngjboy said:
There should be a basic producer's test before newbies are allowed full posting rights. In today's day and age, there is too much info around to have to explain to some retard exactly what midi is and what quantization is about after they spent over $2000 on a MPC and they refuse to read for themselves.

Very good point all I hear from these 15 year olds is "imma producer" but you ask what quantize swing is and..........ya know. If ya to impatient to read it at least get tha damn video on it. But don't ask if you got the tools to figure it out your self already!!!!

Last edited:
That's ill JEK....

I noticed that's how its been going from the way label reps ask for tracks on PMP....most of them ask for full songs or at least a reference joints.

DJILLERJEK said:
Extremely well said. I Have been a member for a couple of years now and haven't posted much of anything (apologies) but I have to say I understand that learning your gear before you speak is very important. It will save you not just time but your rep and the road is a long one. I will not name names but I work with two well known producers one with a multi platinum credits and a grammy and the other with platinum credits. Both have worked in the industry for close to a decade and its still a battle. If I can begin to add to the next chapter...... it's don't expect to sell beats by just selling beats. There is a big idea with Newbies that you can pop beats off and labels are just going to buy them. This is sometimes the case, but more times not. In the day of the digital download record labels don't have the budget to throw at "new" producers as they once did. Atlantic and Capital recently announced the introduction of full 360 deals for all new artist(for those that don't know 360 means a cut from everything). Saying that if you plan to just sell cds we will not sign you. Meaning you better be marketable in more than just sound (images, merchandise, concerts). So there tight on the budget as it is. Labels are less likely to take a chance on just "some beat". What labels want from producers are songs, be a producer get a writer put it together from the ground up. Its more appealing to the label and cheaper for them but in the long run more money for you. The more Credits you add to your name on a project the more pay comes your way. All the greats have been doing it and every on deck producer in the game is catching on. Some people take the route of having an artist and try to get them signed, thats one way. The more common way is take all the beats that you feel "have a chance" and get someone to write to it. Then take what songs you feel are really hot and try to shop that instead of just a beat. If you feel you aren't ready to shop yet, its very good training. 1) A&R's don't like to think so a complete good sounding project handed to them is like music to their ears literally. 2) most A&R's don't deliver thats why they have the highest turnover rate in the industry. So don't be depressed if you think you got one off and it comes right back. You have to keep pressing and networking. But if you as a producer can bring to them a complete song written and produced by you and your camp (and its good of course) you have a better chance of getting picked and the A&R's is more than likely to listen to it. Now this may have sounded very advanced for a newbie but its a good thing to bring up because if you know where the game is going to be you can be there waiting for it ready when it gets at ya.

(Oh yea one more thing If you do get a placement have more **** on deck. If that track is a hit, everyone and there mama is going to be callin you for more beats so don't get caught with your pants down, bring the heat!!!!!)

Very good point all I hear from these 15 year olds is "imma producer" but you ask what quantize swing is and..........ya know. If ya to impatient to read it at least get tha damn video on it. But don't ask if you got the tools to figure it out your self already!!!!

True indeed, i dont understand how some of these "newbie" wanna be producers ask alot of simple questions when information is all over the place in today's society.In my own opinion its just plain lazy, alot of people that want to produce just want an answer "now" and dont want to take the time and read. I personally feel that in order to call yourself a "producer" you need to know music the equipment you use and the logistics of it all.

Music as a career takes alot of hard work and dedication to achieve results, buying a piece of gear gives a person a level of excitement, but first you MUST read the documentation and then from there learn all you can from what you have read ,then practice to get the experience and good results. There should be absolutley no excuse for this kind of behavior from "newbies" who want to produce, obviously some newbies DO NOT WANT TO PRODUCE MUSIC BAD ENOUGH, i know that for some of us seasoned producers we are sooooooo involved and mentally concentrated about the art of music production that we -

have the upmost desire to do nothing but produce music, we will go to any extent to find our answer, reading , online research, books etc.

Most producers choose artist based on a number of things, deliverence, does the artist have talent? can he/she rap/sing? and so on and so forth, now why would i choose an artist who is not as passionate about their career as i am about produceing tracks ?. it just does not make sense.

in these days and times it seems like the younger generation is getting lazier and more lazier, not all but alot, if you think about it, i mean why would i shell out 2 or $3000 on equipment and then not read the damn documentation?. younger artist/producers should also learn the history of artist legends and performers, a few years ago artist worked hard at their craft, day in and day out, practice and more practice, researching upon end to find answers and be great performers.

Another reason why its a good idea to read and know your equipment is the fact that things go wrong in the studio, know matter how new or old the equipment is, things are going to happen and you do not want to sit there with your client trying to "figure out" why something happen it just happens and you need to be able to fix it, troubleshoot it or know what you are doing. producers are "viewed" as knowledge based individules as well, every time someone walks into my production facility they have questions, upon questions and if you cannot answer simple things like the difference between 24 and 16 bit depth ,then you need not call yourself a producer.

just my two cents..............................................

Back