I am a beginner and i want to know where to start..

Hi i am a beginner in music production and i am intrested in making my own sounds(i like synthetisers), playing melodies on notes instead of sampling(my type of music is hip hop but i also like grime, ambiental, trip-hop, experimental). What should i learn first ? Can you give me some advices? Thanks !

Last edited:
I started out with this book here, after learning how to use my daw from google and YouTube. Learning a daw is different than making the actual music though, so that's the only thing you should learn from random sources on the net.. I'm not a mixing engineer, nor is that what I am trying to become.. That book is just very beneficial to your music as a whole. Mixing isn't just moving volume sliders, it's about sound choice and arrangement as well, which is the foundation of any song. If you understand how sound and speakers work, it will greatly help you!

I'm not trying to bash everything on the internet, I'm just saying that you should filter out the good information from the bad. That can be very hard when you don't have a clue on which is which, that's why I use books from people like Bobby Owsinski. Goodluck!

Good advice from the guys....I would also say don't try and be like everybody else. Find what hardware or software you like & stick with it. Learn it, master it so you'll know it inside and out.

Hi i am a beginner in music production and i am intrested in making my own sounds(i like synthetisers), playing melodies on notes instead of sampling(my type of music is hip hop but i also like grime, ambiental, trip-hop, experimental). What should i learn first ? Can you give me some advices? Thanks !

Start with software and instruments. Moog makes some awesome Synths!!!

Back