How Were You Able To Leave Your 9-to-5 ?

ronicuajo

I am curious to hearing your stories or advice on the subject. I am currently focusing on producing and trying to build my brand and all. But is very tough at the moment. Would love to hear your guys thoughts.

Last edited:
Welcome and what is your musical background if any? Ask yourself what is your definition of success? If it is the media focused material wealth, women, awards, etc. that ship has long sailed and you don't have to do music to get any or all of the above and it doesn't make what you want to do wrong. Music will always be created regardless of the financial state of the business. Selling beats is not necessary to be a producer.

What is your age/locale?

Last edited:
I played Lead Guitar at my church for a few years before I decided to move to Orlando Florida to study Audio Engineering. I've produced for a few artists and Im currently trying grow a fanbase on my youtube channel. I am pretty well diverse in music and can pretty much attempt to create any genre. for the exception of jazz lol that'll take a bit more time.

I played Lead Guitar at my church for a few years before I decided to move to Orlando Florida to study Audio Engineering. I've produced for a few artists and Im currently trying grow a fanbase on my youtube channel. I am pretty well diverse in music and can pretty much attempt to create any genre. for the exception of jazz lol that'll take a bit more time.

Cool. Just know that music has only been a windfall for those who either had/have a relative with a legacy in the biz or someone w/o familial connects was in the right place, right time e.g. they followed a trend in progress, or was lucky.

I agree man. I love creating and I would never stop. But I'm at a point where I have to be realistic as well. I want to pursue my career in music as a producer but also gotta pay the bills. So I'm trying to find the balance between that.

money in music is hard (harder than most industries), but you can survive. As for leaving your 9-5 lol, that's easy. You just do like Connor McGregor and leave. Focus on your music, if that's what you want to do. You wont make as much as a steady job at all...at first, but it has potential for far greater reward if you push through the early struggle. (for youngsters this is easy, but if you have a family and kids, you can't just quit your job for music). So I guess just analyze your situation and make a judgement call. Can you afford to be broke for a while as your growing your name, or do you have immediate responsibilities?

It's a strange industry, because you have to make it on your own. No boss is gunna give you a paycheck. You have look at it like an entrepreneur. It has very high risk of failure, ...but if you work very hard and make opportunities for yourself, you'll start to push through. A big thing in music is that opportunities don't come to you, you have to make them yourself. Y

If you want to go on tour, YOU have to organize the tour and get your butt to the gigs. if you want to write and record an album, YOU have to get in the studio and do it.

There are many avenues in music as well, you can get a license for radio, you can promote music, you can write articles about shows/festivals, you can do the studio bit and mix/master music, you can write music for TV/film, you can go out and do gigs, you can teach, ...etc, there's a lot.

Last edited:
Hey man. Wow seriously thanks! I'm in the process of struggling at the moment and I can say that I can kinda try to afford to be broke for a bit to push my name out there. This seriously motivated and reminded me that I can keep pushing. Thanks a lot man!!!!!

ya, you can work a day job and do music on the side until there is enough buzz to jump in with more effort. ..

But also, when you have time to really work on music, put your full effort into it. Like really try to make a good song.

I went through college, and worked a few regular jobs, but I always keep pushing at the music on the side. Now, it's starting to pay off, but start somewhere (big or small) and keep growing it. Some will grow faster than others, but it's your life so go about how you find it best.

One thing is for certain though, the really big artists and bands made a decision in their life. They gave up everything and went to work in the studio all day/everyday. They made it their life. That decision wont come until you feel comfortable taking the leap. ...but ya, get your feet wet. Test out the various areas of the music industry, and go for one that suits you.

Last edited:
Back