How to tune 808/Kicks in Ableton?

uheclipse

So im having trouble trying to learn how to do this. I saw a video where someone used the sampler and operator together to tune them but when I tried it didnt work for me. Can anyone here explain how to do this for me or link a good video tutorial?

Grab a "Simpler" put the 808 sample inside, figure out what key is your 808, lets say its on "G2" now go to "Transp" which means Transpose. Now your 808 is at "G2" now adjust the transpose to "+5 st" st means SEMI TONES. So now that you have tuned it. Your 808 is on C3 now.

Grab a "Simpler" put the 808 sample inside, figure out what key is your 808, lets say its on "G2" now go to "Transp" which means Transpose. Now your 808 is at "G2" now adjust the transpose to "+5 st" st means SEMI TONES. So now that you have tuned it. Your 808 is on C3 now.
See the problem is that I cant figure out what key the 808 is in. Got any tips for finding out how to do that?
Are you synthesizing your own drums or is it a sample?
Its a sample

I usually just compare it to a sine wave. Just open up any instrument and hit middle c, and then you transpose your kick up several octaves (at least 2 or 3), then just adjust until it sounds the same.. this should make it real easy for you to hear since the kick will now have a clear high pitch.

I usually just compare it to a sine wave. Just open up any instrument and hit middle c, and then you transpose your kick up several octaves (at least 2 or 3), then just adjust until it sounds the same.. this should make it real easy for you to hear since the kick will now have a clear high pitch.
My problem is i have trouble telling which note sounds the same. Is it vital that you are able to find the exact note that sounds the same? I recently tried this yesterday and could find a couple different notes that made the 808 and sine wave sound similar, i just couldnt tell which one was better/closer.

It depends on the kick - a lot of "normal" (ie. acoustic) kicks don't have a strong fundamental, so they don't necessarily sound "off" even though they're not technically in-key. You can always use a tuner plugin or a spectrum analyzer to figure out the exact pitch without your ears but if it's unmelodic enough so you can't tell by ear...maybe no one else can either. Does it sound good? Ok, it's good.

Last edited:
Back