How to remix?

yodaone902

I suppose this is a newb of newb question. I'm more of a sample/chop based guy but how exactly would i get started into remixing tracks. The vibe i'm going for is sound remedy. any directions would be much appreciated

Do you know how to mix anything yet? Like have you ever made your own track then mixed it?

You're gonna need to know how to mix before you can remix.

Last edited:
Remix of a song with vocals normally works the way that you get acapella or vocal stems and remake the music in your own remixed manner/way.
It\s like producing any song basically.

That was what i thought. But the question is how do you isolate the vocals, or get the stems?

Gotta find them online as either the vocals or the stems by themselves.. You cant separate vocals from a mix once its all one mp3/wav file.

Gotta find them online as either the vocals or the stems by themselves.. You cant separate vocals from a mix once its all one mp3/wav file.

Actually that's not entirely true. You can sort of extract vocals from a track, but it's nowhere near perfect or in many cases even properly working. The method I'm referring to is phase cancellation.

Yeah sort of possible but the result aint too much to brag about.

There are even plugins that claim to isolate the vocals from the track. Theres a new one out now, can't remember the name but I can dig it out if needed. Saw an AD for it in the last Future Music Magazine..
Problem is all this phasecancellation-techniques and plug-ins suck compared to getting the acapella/stems.

There are many great acapella sites out there. A lot of mp3 stems for sure but that will do IMO. We aren´t mixing for Michael as Quincy´s assistant are we Mr. Bruce?

Or hey, contact the artist/management and ask for stems. There are even a lot of acapellas on youtube nowadays.

I'm sure if we wait a while, technology will one day allow for software to separate all kinds of sounds.. So now we wait. :-)

I think the easy way about going about this is just going to remixcomps.com and getting involved in a comp, the stems are always provided so that's a plus. If you want to a particular set of vocals, then it gets complicated as stated above with isolating vocals. There's another site you can check, acapellas4u.co.uk for a more variety of vocal stems, don't expect to find every vocal set you want out there though.

Actually that's not entirely true. You can sort of extract vocals from a track, but it's nowhere near perfect or in many cases even properly working. The method I'm referring to is phase cancellation.
Yah I remember reading a thread about it awhile back on a different forum and I knew there were ways to attempt/do it but I didnt know exactly how(I understand phase cancellation though so that makes sense now)
All I remembered though is people saying there is no really good way to do it.

Yah I remember reading a thread about it awhile back on a different forum and I knew there were ways to attempt/do it but I didnt know exactly how(I understand phase cancellation though so that makes sense now)
All I remembered though is people saying there is no really good way to do it.

Yeah, and there isn't. Phase cancellation is the only method I know of that is even remotely close to achieving it, but it is tedious and introduces a whole set of frustrations trying to align it, inevitably losing some of the vocals and frustration levels are at 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Last edited:
you could use a M/S plugin and print the mid, then using the original track phase invert the mid and print the results

you could split a stereo track and invert one of the two tracks, print the result

print means render or otherwise save as a an audio file

problem is that unless the vocal are one side or the other what you actually do is remove the vocal not isolate it. What you then might do is taking your vocal-less (or nearly so track) and invert it and along with the original, isolate the vocal, maybe (not as easy as it sounds all up)......

Back