How to record directly to piano roll in FL Studio

TristanS

All I want is a MiKo
Hey guys, I have a question!

Ok so I have this sound I like. I dabbled around with it on my keyboard and made a melody. I tried my best to replicate this melody on the piano roll. I can never get the timing right, because i put in pauses and stuff into my tunes. is there a way for me to 'record' my movements onto the piano roll with the exact timing i play them in? meaning as i compose the song on my keyboard the notes will come into piano roll. is this possible?

I beleive it should happen by default...

If its not working then deselect "record to step sequencer"

Your latency will affect how responsive your control over timing will be , so you may have to change your buffer settings in audio options.

where would i find this record to step sequencer?

edit: its called step edit. but it still doesnt fill in gaps for the time im not pressing the buttons. this is good though. thank you.

Last edited:
TristanS said:
Hey guys, I have a question!

Ok so I have this sound I like. I dabbled around with it on my keyboard and made a melody. I tried my best to replicate this melody on the piano roll. I can never get the timing right, because i put in pauses and stuff into my tunes. is there a way for me to 'record' my movements onto the piano roll with the exact timing i play them in? meaning as i compose the song on my keyboard the notes will come into piano roll. is this possible?

The yellow part... How do you write your melody on the piano roll?

HYPE [S-GANG] said:
The yellow part... How do you write your melody on the piano roll?

Well if you have a note right. and you play it, it only has one variation or one sound/note to it. once you put it into piano roll you can make different sounds that are of the same note. like high pitch low pitch etc right? so when i say i wrote it in piano roll, i mean i play the sound out on my keyboard, then fill in the notes on the piano roll to try and make it sound identical to how i played it. kinda get what i mean right? i probably used the wrong words which is most likely what threw you off.

also its hard to make songs with just a normal typing keyboard. i dont have a musical one.

TristanS said:
Well if you have a note right. and you play it, it only has one variation or one sound/note to it. once you put it into piano roll you can make different sounds that are of the same note. like high pitch low pitch etc right? so when i say i wrote it in piano roll, i mean i play the sound out on my keyboard, then fill in the notes on the piano roll to try and make it sound identical to how i played it. kinda get what i mean right? i probably used the wrong words which is most likely what threw you off.

also its hard to make songs with just a normal typing keyboard. i dont have a musical one.

No it didn't throw me off, i got it as soon as i read your first post, just wanted to be sure, but LostProfit got confused i think :)
So, on with the info:

To record notes in FL Studio, press record button:

111hz7b.jpg

It will go yellow/orange, and then press play button. Recording will begin.
For recording notes in piano roll, there are two options:

You can play your melody using common computer keyboard. Input:

Z X C V B N M , = C D E F G A B C
S D G H J = C# D# F# G# A#

Q W E R T Y U I = C D E F G A B C
2 3 5 6 7 = C# D# F# G# A#

Or you can buy midi controller, plug it in your usb and use it for recording

HYPE [S-GANG] said:
No it didn't throw me off, i got it as soon as i read your first post, just wanted to be sure, but LostProfit got confused i think :)
So, on with the info:

To record notes in FL Studio, press record button:

111hz7b.jpg

It will go yellow/orange, and then press play button. Recording will begin.
For recording notes in piano roll, there are two options:

wow thats exactly what i needed!!! i knew the record button had something to do with it. it just never occurred to me to press play. that really doubled my efficiency ahah thanks!!!

i'm really not tryin to be funny here, but you really should hit the help menu in FL and get familiar with the basics, you just asked how to record, when there's a big record button up at the top. i'm really not trying to diss you, but if you have to ask questions like this, you really could learn alot from the manual. a good way to get info on stuff in FL, is to hit the F1 key. if you have the wasp or sampler or mixer open, hitting F1 will take you to the help page for that module, it's really a great way to learn stuff quick and easy. i tell everyone this, it makes learning FL fast and easy to me.
LevLove

Last edited:
LevLover said:
i'm really not tryin to be funny here, but you really should hit the help menu in FL and get familiar with the basics, you just asked how to record, when there's a big record button up at the top. i'm really not trying to diss you, but if you have to ask questions like this, you really could learn alot from the manual. a good way to get info on stuff in FL, is to hit the F1 key. if you have the wasp or sampler or mixer open, hitting F1 will take you to the help page for that module, it's really a great way to learn stuff quick and easy. i tell everyone this, it makes learning FL fast and easy to me.
LevLove

I couldn't have said it no better LevLove....

Pure....

REAL TALKOLOGY

BKster

jeffery225 said:
I have a question, wheb recording what is the best snap to set it to? Line? Bar/beat?

If any...probably line because it will allow you to write in greater detail.

But when recording why don't you take the snap off and go au natural? Is your latency really bad? :S

Not my latencyu, probably my playing lol. And also, is it better to record while the rest of the track is playing, or record piece by piece?

@Hype [S-Gang] Thanks bro, your help will double my efficiency in FL Studio but I have a problem, (I'm just 1 month familiar with FL Studio). The Keyboard keys are scrambled over and they r not coherent according to the piano roll notes.

Is there keyboard keys that are in an orderly fashion for each piano roll note from top to bottom or Is there a way to change the keys assigned to each note in piano roll?

Or Buying a MIDI controller is far more convenient and better..? Help me.

Last edited:
@Hype [S-Gang] Thanks bro, your help will double my efficiency in FL Studio but I have a problem, (I'm just 1 month familiar with FL Studio). The Keyboard keys are scrambled over and they r not coherent according to the piano roll notes.

Is there keyboard keys that are in an orderly fashion for each piano roll note from top to bottom or Is there a way to change the keys assigned to each note in piano roll?

Or Buying a MIDI controller is far more convenient and better..? Help me.

Hey, this is my new nick (Hype S-GANG got banned like a year and a half ago or so :) ) I'm not sure what are you saying, are you saying that your keyboard is not common "qwerty" keyboard? I think there is no way in FL to change keys assigned to notes tho.

But buying MIDI controller is by far the most convenient option. If you got money, buy it. Even those with 25 keys are more than enough for beginners

Back