Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: How to record directly to piano roll in FL Studio

  1. #1
    TristanS is offline All I want is a MiKo
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How to record directly to piano roll in FL Studio

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, I have a question!

    Ok so I have this sound I like. I dabbled around with it on my keyboard and made a melody. I tried my best to replicate this melody on the piano roll. I can never get the timing right, because i put in pauses and stuff into my tunes. is there a way for me to 'record' my movements onto the piano roll with the exact timing i play them in? meaning as i compose the song on my keyboard the notes will come into piano roll. is this possible?

  2. #2
    LostProfit is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I beleive it should happen by default...

    If its not working then deselect "record to step sequencer"

    Your latency will affect how responsive your control over timing will be , so you may have to change your buffer settings in audio options.

  3. #3
    TristanS is offline All I want is a MiKo
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    where would i find this record to step sequencer?

    edit: its called step edit. but it still doesnt fill in gaps for the time im not pressing the buttons. this is good though. thank you.
    Last edited by TristanS; 01-19-2009 at 12:41 PM.

  4. #4
    HYPE [S-GANG]'s Avatar
    HYPE [S-GANG] is offline Universal Soldier
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TristanS
    Hey guys, I have a question!

    Ok so I have this sound I like. I dabbled around with it on my keyboard and made a melody. I tried my best to replicate this melody on the piano roll. I can never get the timing right, because i put in pauses and stuff into my tunes. is there a way for me to 'record' my movements onto the piano roll with the exact timing i play them in? meaning as i compose the song on my keyboard the notes will come into piano roll. is this possible?
    The yellow part... How do you write your melody on the piano roll?

  5. #5
    TristanS is offline All I want is a MiKo
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HYPE [S-GANG]
    The yellow part... How do you write your melody on the piano roll?
    Well if you have a note right. and you play it, it only has one variation or one sound/note to it. once you put it into piano roll you can make different sounds that are of the same note. like high pitch low pitch etc right? so when i say i wrote it in piano roll, i mean i play the sound out on my keyboard, then fill in the notes on the piano roll to try and make it sound identical to how i played it. kinda get what i mean right? i probably used the wrong words which is most likely what threw you off.

    also its hard to make songs with just a normal typing keyboard. i dont have a musical one.

  6. #6
    HYPE [S-GANG]'s Avatar
    HYPE [S-GANG] is offline Universal Soldier
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TristanS
    Well if you have a note right. and you play it, it only has one variation or one sound/note to it. once you put it into piano roll you can make different sounds that are of the same note. like high pitch low pitch etc right? so when i say i wrote it in piano roll, i mean i play the sound out on my keyboard, then fill in the notes on the piano roll to try and make it sound identical to how i played it. kinda get what i mean right? i probably used the wrong words which is most likely what threw you off.

    also its hard to make songs with just a normal typing keyboard. i dont have a musical one.
    No it didn't throw me off, i got it as soon as i read your first post, just wanted to be sure, but LostProfit got confused i think
    So, on with the info:

    To record notes in FL Studio, press record button:



    It will go yellow/orange, and then press play button. Recording will begin.
    For recording notes in piano roll, there are two options:

    You can play your melody using common computer keyboard. Input:

    Z X C V B N M , = C D E F G A B C
    S D G H J = C# D# F# G# A#

    Q W E R T Y U I = C D E F G A B C
    2 3 5 6 7 = C# D# F# G# A#

    Or you can buy midi controller, plug it in your usb and use it for recording

  7. #7
    TristanS is offline All I want is a MiKo
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HYPE [S-GANG]
    No it didn't throw me off, i got it as soon as i read your first post, just wanted to be sure, but LostProfit got confused i think
    So, on with the info:

    To record notes in FL Studio, press record button:



    It will go yellow/orange, and then press play button. Recording will begin.
    For recording notes in piano roll, there are two options:

    You can play your melody using common computer keyboard. Input:

    Z X C V B N M , = C D E F G A B C
    S D G H J = C# D# F# G# A#

    Q W E R T Y U I = C D E F G A B C
    2 3 5 6 7 = C# D# F# G# A#

    Or you can buy midi controller, plug it in your usb and use it for recording
    wow thats exactly what i needed!!! i knew the record button had something to do with it. it just never occurred to me to press play. that really doubled my efficiency ahah thanks!!!

  8. #8
    LevLover is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,429
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i'm really not tryin to be funny here, but you really should hit the help menu in FL and get familiar with the basics, you just asked how to record, when there's a big record button up at the top. i'm really not trying to diss you, but if you have to ask questions like this, you really could learn alot from the manual. a good way to get info on stuff in FL, is to hit the F1 key. if you have the wasp or sampler or mixer open, hitting F1 will take you to the help page for that module, it's really a great way to learn stuff quick and easy. i tell everyone this, it makes learning FL fast and easy to me.
    LevLove
    Last edited by LevLover; 01-19-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Trust me, I know what I'm talkin bout! check my history:
    http://www.futureproducers.com/forum...duser&u=104214

  9. #9
    Mr.Bytch Killa's Avatar
    Mr.Bytch Killa is offline Universal Soldier
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    955
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LevLover
    i'm really not tryin to be funny here, but you really should hit the help menu in FL and get familiar with the basics, you just asked how to record, when there's a big record button up at the top. i'm really not trying to diss you, but if you have to ask questions like this, you really could learn alot from the manual. a good way to get info on stuff in FL, is to hit the F1 key. if you have the wasp or sampler or mixer open, hitting F1 will take you to the help page for that module, it's really a great way to learn stuff quick and easy. i tell everyone this, it makes learning FL fast and easy to me.
    LevLove



    I couldn't have said it no better LevLove....


    Pure....















    REAL TALKOLOGY






    BKster
    [COLOR=Red][SIZE=2][B]Rap Artist/Producer/D J B K[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Yellow][B]"The Man Without A Face"[/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="http://myspace.com/NoHatersAllowedProductions"]http://myspace.com/NoHatersAllowedProductions[/URL]
    [COLOR=Red][SIZE=7][SIZE=5]NoHatersAllowedProductions

    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]

  10. #10
    LostProfit is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bytch Killa
    [COLOR=Red][SIZE=4][B]REAL TALKOLOGY
    lol word up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Special 93% Offer

Got beats? Samples? Mixing and mastering services? Get a head start with this 93% OFF special offer!