how to properly mix chords

Akulli

i was trying to mix my track
and my synth basically covers the whole thing from near 200hz to 10khz
it sounds really deep and nice(alone) when i dont EQ it
and it sounds kinda flat(alone) when i do EQ it down to the middle frequencies
but im afrade its one of those times which i just cant tell which one is better
cuz i realised that alot of my tracks sound really complex and there are just too many sounds
so if your bass plays low frequency+some mids
and your lead plays High frequency+some mids
would you have a synth which plays only mids ? or would it sound better if it played the whole thing
personal choice yes i know, but im asking those who can look at it in a "Rules and theory" way, since i dont really know much about it.

I often sacrifice loads of frequencies that I like from instruments, because I know that it stops mud and other instruments will fill up that range anyway. I also don't care if the frequencies of the instruments overlap, I just ask myself if they sound unpleasent together or not. Remove the instrument entirely and don't even include it if you're track is so complex. You can try cutting a bit from multiple instruments at around 200-500 hrz which I find takes a lot of mud out and then you can leave one instrument to dominate that region. I have my bass frequencies spread like yours, but I don't really worry about clashing because I hear none. Sound selection is also a very big part of mixing, try switching up the sounds. Maybe keep the root notes of your chords the same and move the notes above the root notes up an octave. Maybe a way you can avoid this problem for good is by changing the way you produce, since you like complexity why not try to bring complexity over time? Maybe you're trying to cram everything together, but simply spreading everything out (which gives you more space to add complexity) is what works for me.

--Going off topic--

"Rules and theory" = creative block, I know you have it cuz I've been der. Try to forget about how bad you think your mix or even entire beat is, what's important is that you can learn from your past mistakes AFTER you've made the beat. There's a producer called Gutta Beatz Juugin and I looooove his music, eventhough it's so muddy I kind of like it. All he does in mixing (from what it sounds like) is just use the eq for letting the kick, 808, melodies and snare stand out but he doesn't worry about the relationships between the different instruments that make up the melody.

Last edited:
Back