How Much Should I Charge For Customs?

I got buyers but I have never sold a custom beat...:4theloveofgod:
How much do you charge for custom?
Do you also give them Full Track-outs and Exclusive Rights,WAV(The Whole Package)?

a custom is an exclusive lease not exclusive rights.

exclusive rights means you sell all of your future claims in terms of royalties etc - not to be done unless a lot of money is involved imo - this is also known as creating as a work for hire or ghostwriting

you sign a split sheet/contract and you charge 50%, non-refundable deposit up front before you commence work on the track - it may be the only money you see for it if they decide to pull out afterwards

as for how much - that is a question that has as many answers as there are writers on the planet - if it were me nothing less $500 for an exclusive lease unless I know you well, nothing less than 5 times that ($2500) for an exclusive rights deal

Also, it depends on what all you do on the track, how many layers (instruments) do you use on the track and who the artist is (fan base).

Bandcoach
Thanks for the correction. and also as for the signed contract I am not even near this person I am making sales on Twitter.I have a contract for this lease but I had no Idea about split sheets ..THis is alot of stuff I didn't know about ughh

I wouldn't charge by the instruments but he does not have too many fans,his reverbation says hes #50 in his city So hes just underground, not big

There really isn't a set answer for this.

There are three questions you have to ask when deciding how to price something:

1) How much do I want to make off of this song? (Of course we'd all like to make $100,000. Be realistic.)

2) How big is the person who wants to buy it, and what is their budget? (There's nothing wrong with working with your clients in a fair way to get something that they can afford and you feel is fair. After all, a happy customer is a repeat customer.)

3) Do I want to make money now, or wait on it for a while and see if I can get a better deal? (This can be based on #2... if the person who wants to buy is simply well under your price range, there's nothing wrong with saying no and waiting to find someone else.)

To illustrate an example, I've sold tracks for well under what they were worth but still for an amount that was fair enough in the interest of solidifying a relationship with a label that could give me tons more work over the years. Prove you can do the job, are accountable, caring and flexible. You are providing a service, and you are fortunate enough that you can make unlimited product and don't necessarily have a "price" on creation. (Obviously you spent potentially years of time and money into your studio and craft. You know what I mean.)

Always keep in mind what we're really doing when trying to sell - providing a service to artists, labels, music supervisors etc. They need your music, and you want to show them that you can get the job done right and within budget.

It's always a careful balancing act. All I'm really trying to say is that there is a range of prices that my work commands given the purpose of the party interested in the music, the budget of the party, and the realistic potential of the track.

Hope this helps a bit!

Back