How much money do you make with ASCAP?

zazulak44

Im was just reading as much as i can about ASCAP and was trying to figure out some info on it.

How much money do you make on ASCAP? and is that from radio or what?

What does it cost to register with ascap?

i'm pretty much doing the same thing, but i went ahead and applied as a writer. there is no fee, u just have to be putting something out, such as recording. as long as u've recorded something and plan on publicizing it. i'm still trying to find out when is it appropriate to start a publishing company?

zazulak44 said:
Im was just reading as much as i can about ASCAP and was trying to figure out some info on it.

How much money do you make on ASCAP? and is that from radio or what?

What does it cost to register with ascap?

also, if im a small indie artist that might only be getting spins on 1 radio station and 4 or 5 clubs, how is ASCAP goign to know how much spins im getting?

zazulak44 said:
also, if im a small indie artist that might only be getting spins on 1 radio station and 4 or 5 clubs, how is ASCAP goign to know how much spins im getting?

they're probably not...if I'm not mistaken and its been awhile since I emailed them but BMI or ASCAP takes a small sample of all the radio station and pays out based on that...

If you're really a small act then you're not going to make much. PROs usually do random sampling, and it's an honor system for clubs/venues/TV producers to report usage and licenses. Just keep publishing material and getting it out there, the more you have, the better chance you'll get income through there.

In the meantime, you should directly promote your own stuff and try to get UPFRONT income as much as possible. Even if someone promises "huge backend income" or big royalties down the road... get something upfront so you're not screwed later because it didn't get reported to your PRO properly.

FCC requires radio stations to keep accurate lists detailing what they do over the airwaves. Songs, public service announcements (PSAs), commercials, etc.

PROs do use the honor system, though, too.

BMI has not paid me a dime yet. and een when I told them about certain songs that were played on TV shows on major cable networks they gave me the cold shoulder. I guess you have to be big time for them to care. They put more effort into suing bars and clubs that don't pay for licenses than they do into helping thier smaller artists. I consider them to be a part of the reason why artist are not getting the money they should be getting. They work as pimps in the music industry. The sad part is you gotta join one if you want to ba taken seriously in the biz.

Its all about the people that use your stuff filling in the cue sheets properly. If that is not done correctly and they are not sent in BMI or ASCAP wont know that your stuff was used and thus won't pay you.

It will only benefit you to register with either BMI or ASCAP. But you need to make sure you register all your songs with the performance rights company, as well as make sure all your paperwork is taken care of, such as in the example with the guy who had his songs on a tv show or commercial. Maybe the production company never sent in the cue sheets. If i'm not mistaken, you should be able to be pro-active and get those filled out and send them in yourselves, but don't quote me on it.

It's tough, but if you have a ton of music being performed publicly and you have all the paperwork handled, you should be straight. But don't expect to get paid for at least 6 months.

TBF

Some large radio stations report their spins electronically ie. Neilsen Soundscan.Also you gotta make sure you got your sr forms filed at The Library of congress in DC. for your copyrights.

Dj JROK said:
Some large radio stations report their spins electronically ie. Neilsen Soundscan.Also you gotta make sure you got your sr forms filed at The Library of congress in DC. for your copyrights.

My undergraduate thesis project included a proposal for a database system that among other things, electronically cataloged setlists, etc.

years ago.

ni6apinoflavord said:
how do they know that you produced the joint??? because anyone can just sign up as hte producer of somebody's song

Your SR form from The Library Of Congress where all copyrighting is done is proof of your work.You need to forward a copy to ascap when registering.

Back