Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much money do you make with ASCAP?

zazulak44 is offline Registered User
    Thanks

How much money do you make with ASCAP?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Im was just reading as much as i can about ASCAP and was trying to figure out some info on it.

How much money do you make on ASCAP? and is that from radio or what?

What does it cost to register with ascap?

J. Walker is offline Member
    Thanks
    i'm pretty much doing the same thing, but i went ahead and applied as a writer. there is no fee, u just have to be putting something out, such as recording. as long as u've recorded something and plan on publicizing it. i'm still trying to find out when is it appropriate to start a publishing company?

Quote Originally Posted by zazulak44
    Im was just reading as much as i can about ASCAP and was trying to figure out some info on it.

How much money do you make on ASCAP? and is that from radio or what?

What does it cost to register with ascap?

Thanks
    also, if im a small indie artist that might only be getting spins on 1 radio station and 4 or 5 clubs, how is ASCAP goign to know how much spins im getting?

d.C. is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zazulak44
    also, if im a small indie artist that might only be getting spins on 1 radio station and 4 or 5 clubs, how is ASCAP goign to know how much spins im getting?
    they're probably not...if I'm not mistaken and its been awhile since I emailed them but BMI or ASCAP takes a small sample of all the radio station and pays out based on that...

zircon is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    If you're really a small act then you're not going to make much. PROs usually do random sampling, and it's an honor system for clubs/venues/TV producers to report usage and licenses. Just keep publishing material and getting it out there, the more you have, the better chance you'll get income through there.

In the meantime, you should directly promote your own stuff and try to get UPFRONT income as much as possible. Even if someone promises "huge backend income" or big royalties down the road... get something upfront so you're not screwed later because it didn't get reported to your PRO properly.
    www.soundtempest.net - recording industry news blog + guides for musicians

www.zirconstudios.com - breaks, vgm remixes, soundtracks, and free tutorials

MadTiger3000 is offline Natural Philospher
    Thanks
    FCC requires radio stations to keep accurate lists detailing what they do over the airwaves. Songs, public service announcements (PSAs), commercials, etc.

PROs do use the honor system, though, too.
    Business Consulting
    Terry D. Miller, MBA

Logistical Styles is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    BMI has not paid me a dime yet. and een when I told them about certain songs that were played on TV shows on major cable networks they gave me the cold shoulder. I guess you have to be big time for them to care. They put more effort into suing bars and clubs that don't pay for licenses than they do into helping thier smaller artists. I consider them to be a part of the reason why artist are not getting the money they should be getting. They work as pimps in the music industry. The sad part is you gotta join one if you want to ba taken seriously in the biz.
    Stop slingin Cds and get paid for real. License those beats.

hokus208 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Its all about the people that use your stuff filling in the cue sheets properly. If that is not done correctly and they are not sent in BMI or ASCAP wont know that your stuff was used and thus won't pay you.

Thanks
    it sounds to me that it wouldnt be worth it for someone like me. am i correct?

TBFEntertainment is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    It will only benefit you to register with either BMI or ASCAP. But you need to make sure you register all your songs with the performance rights company, as well as make sure all your paperwork is taken care of, such as in the example with the guy who had his songs on a tv show or commercial. Maybe the production company never sent in the cue sheets. If i'm not mistaken, you should be able to be pro-active and get those filled out and send them in yourselves, but don't quote me on it.

It's tough, but if you have a ton of music being performed publicly and you have all the paperwork handled, you should be straight. But don't expect to get paid for at least 6 months.

TBF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information