Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many takes do you usually do before you get a good recording for a verse???

Thanks

how many takes do you usually do before you get a good recording for a verse???

Sign in to disable this ad
    i record so many times its not funny. i take hours. im a perfectionist when it comes to my vocals. i can get good recordings, but then i feel i can go harder so i record again. i take like 2 hours and sometimes more. i hate it. my flow isnt so good so i take longer.

how many recordings do you guys usually take?

Thanks
    Usually 4-5, If I'm in the middle of a project and reciting & recording everyday I might get it first take. Sometimes 20+ and I'll leave it for another day.

I like there to be a kind of human touch to it though, I'm not a robot, so sometimes there are happy accidents and stuff that stay.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesp510 View Post
    i record so many times its not funny. i take hours. im a perfectionist when it comes to my vocals.
    My friend do tha same thing, that shit killlss me. I can't even be in the studio w/ him no more.. It don't take me none but 4 at tha most!

Thanks
    For me it really depends. Sometimes I can one take it. Other times it depends on whether it's a rhyme that I wrote prior to the studio, or in studio. I've come to find that if you want to have less takes, practice spitting the verse several times before you record it. Then you know how you want to deliver every line.

Thanks
    Depends on my mood. If i'm feeling like a superstar... 2-3 tops. 2nd take is usually the best one though. If I feel like i'm forcing the issue.... it takes forever, until i really get into the mood.

Don't forget you can always punch in. Your takes don't have to be done straight through. I overdub alllllll the time. I think some people forget about this. They mess up on one little part and then they scrap it and redo the entire thing... deleting all of the other good things they did.

Thanks
    Practice to death out of the studio and get really good ... then never do too many takes IN the studio or you'll kill the vibe, enjoyment and energy.

Perfectionism is not necessarily a good thing for musicians, my advice would be to make music and get it out there quickly. Allow people to hear it, comment on it and you can learn from it. Don't be precious!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
    Don't forget you can always punch in. Your takes don't have to be done straight through. I overdub alllllll the time. I think some people forget about this. They mess up on one little part and then they scrap it and redo the entire thing... deleting all of the other good things they did.
    Some ppl keep punchin in, then scrap the whole thing, just wastin time lol. But you brought up a good point, deleting things. I try to keep damn near every take unless it's straight trash. You might not have to punch in, you can just chop shit up. Overdubbin is a must most of time anyway for a "full sound"

Thanks
    (***I don't rap)
    It depends on my actual involvement. If it's something I will be mixing in the end I will try to have them give me as many takes as possible. Good and bad. Just in case I have to do some comping down the line. If I'm just helping someone out with track (no mula involved) I will just have them go until they have a good take, punching if necessary. Never just 1 or 2 takes though. The more I have to work with the better.
    I saw a girl texting & driving the other day & it really made me mad, so I rolled down my window & threw my whiskey flask at her.

Thanks
    Here are a few techniques that can be used to speed up recording time.

Hopefully this will help you to speed up the process of recording. Just remember that most of the One Take Wonders of the world have spent countless hours preparing to do so. Following the techniques above should get you there, faster.
    1. Finish your verses before starting over: This may seem straight forward; however, I feel the necessity to mention this actual technique. Too many recording artist feel the pressure to record everything perfectly on the the first try. The problem with this mindset is that it leaves no room for experimentation. I like to get 3 or 4 different takes before moving onto the next section of a song. This way, I can bring the best feature of a musicians style out.
    2. Record in the best sounding room you can find: Sometimes musicians, hip hop artist especially, are caught off guard by the fact that their voices sound different when played through headphones or monitors. Make sure that your focusing on the deliver of the vocals rather than the quality of the sound. Don't get me wrong, sound quality is important; however, amplitude is what's most important during the recording phase.
    3. Avoid digital clipping: There's a big difference between digital and analog clipping. Most people today are recording on digital platforms. Make sure your tracks aren't to loud or in the red. If your having trouble hearing newly recorded takes, turn the volume down on the other channels.

Thanks
    I usually make a demo track and vibe with it for a week or two and memorize the lyrics, flow and everything else. When I record it back the second(official) time i usually fix any flaws/dislikes with delivery, emotion and all that good shit. After the demo track I usually get everything down in one take(not counting doubles or adlibs of course). **** punching in tho, im a rapper not a studio artist; my flow, delivery and consistency defines me as good or bad.
    Shawn "Trigga" Murgasen
    Weapon X International

Thread Information