How to make a song like Martin Garrix?

Why instead of make a song like him, you don't use his work as inspiration for your type of song?

mindblown.gif

Why instead of make a song like him, you don't use his work as inspiration for your type of song?

This man, take inspiration from his sound but don't try and mimic him as you'll just fall short in my opinion. The best thing about music is developing your own sound, but making songs like a certain producer won't get you there. Plus a lot of people may say you just ripped garrix off which isn't a good thing.

Hey, i don't want to create his sounds, but the rhythm, with my own style. I mean, every producer has something special, for example, when i hear a melody from kshmr, i know its a kshmr melody... So what i need to create a song and do ppl recognise me?

I don't get the issue some of you have about suggesting a beginner "mimic" what inspires him as a learning exercise. Why do you guys assume that the OP only wants to learn Martin's style just for the sake of being an "imitator"? Chances are, he's not intending on releasing anything, just reverse-engineering a song to learn how to make his own music.

I am all for mimickry-imitation is the best form of education. Its no different than a musician learning a guitar lick from a popular song. The aim isn't to be an imitator, but to take in the skills that will allow him to create his own music. Developing your own sound and style should be a side effect of learning your craft-not a goal and certainly not a starting point.

Last edited:
Hey, i don't want to create his sounds, but the rhythm, with my own style. I mean, every producer has something special, for example, when i hear a melody from kshmr, i know its a kshmr melody... So what i need to create a song and do ppl recognise me?

His rhythm?

- 4-on the floor kicks;

- Snares/claps on the beats 2 and 4;

- Eventual closed Hi-hats every 4 beats;

- With a more eventual open hi-hat on the offbeat;

- sidechained bass (to the kick) on the offbeat;

- Eventual percussion loops ripped from someone's music

There ya go, 1-hit wonder. As the video said.

Get to it and start making music is all I can say. The first few songs you make will probably be crap. But if you keep creating new stuff you will get better with time, you can learn from your experiences (what you do well and what you need to work on), and develop your OWN sound.

I would suggest to make music in your own way and not to try and sound like anyone else. That would be setting expectations that you will probably never reach and puts a damper on your potential. And you will feel like your songs are never perfect. Tutorials are great here or there and help you to learn new techniques but it can be more valuable to just use the DAW and learn things yourself. Mistakes and failure breeds success.

No one just starts producing for the first time and creates a banger overnight, although it kind of seems like that's how it works nowadays. Put in the work, use some inspiration from your favorite artists, and eventually you'll have something to show for it.

edit: and if you really want some insight into how Martin Garrix made Animals: youtube search: Martin Garrix In The Studio With Future Music

Last edited:
Back