How to make R&B beats.... Help

D

Da ArSun

I know how to make a hip hop beat, even a gangsta beat. But I really want to learn how to make a R&B beat... If anyone can help me with any tips or suggestions please feel free to respond. Thanks holla!!!!

tempo is usually between 60 -85 bpm
use fat snares and bassdrums (you will be abl to find dome free drum sounds on the net)
if you have a rhodes piano, just play some accords
RandB is easy

Contempary Hip Hop is based almost on Hip Hop (unless u gonna do a slowjam), so the changes will be suttle.

Ilgit, u Turkish? Merhaba

:cool:

Davaro said:

Ilgit, u Turkish? Merhaba

:cool:

No doubt I am....

Cool another Turkish guy here ??? .... This makes me happy you know ....

Merhaba davaro nasilsin ?, nerde kaliyorsun ve hangi dal muziknen urasiyorsun??

(dont be scared non turkish guys....Im just saying whatsup...If hes understandin me in Turkish :P)

pz

Hip hop and R&b arent too different if u can make hip hop u can make r&b listen to some R&b tracks and you will see what i mean

Not to stray off topic here people but...

Iyiyim. Londra'da kaliyorum ve Hip Hop muzik yapmiya calisiyorum. Turkce iyi anliyorum, ama konusmasini (ve yazisini) cok iyi degirdir. (Probably cuz I haven't been to the homeland for 3yrs).

...Good luck wit the RnB tracks Arson. Post em up wen u finish em, id be interested in cheking em out.

Last edited by a moderator:
where have you been?

True r&b is not easier to make than hip-hop...with hip hop u have a faster tempo so you can just throw whateva u want in it.. but with r&b it takes skill..you have to know how to play an instruments, and play chords on that instruments, etc. listen to r&b on the radio..there is no samples..it is real instruments, real guitars being picked and strummed, real basses being fingered and slapped, and pianos being played...dont get r&b twisted with hip hop...they are two totally different worlds.

^ I dont think R&b is the easiest thing to make but at the sametime depending on what kinda r&b ur talking about its not a far stretch from hip hop if ur talkin soul like the Musiqs The Raphael Saadiqs ect then your right u need a **** load of talent to make those beats as well as the instruments but if we are talkin Jagged Edge R.Kelly TLC Ashanti or something like that then its not a big jump but you have to think about voices when ur makin the beat and makin sure that the key doesnt hit higher than a normal persons voice can handle

^ I dont think R&b is the easiest thing to make but at the sametime depending on what kinda r&b ur talking about its not a far stretch from hip hop if ur talkin soul like the Musiqs The Raphael Saadiqs ect then your right u need a **** load of talent to make those beats as well as the instruments but if we are talkin Jagged Edge R.Kelly TLC Ashanti or something like that then its not a big jump but you have to think about voices when ur makin the beat and makin sure that the key doesnt hit higher than a normal persons voice can handle

**co signs**

R&B

R&B takes planning.........whenever I make a hiphop track I usually loop up some drums & throw some changes everyonce & awhile, but R&B I work with the artist to see what type of feel the beat needs to have.....to fit the lyrics & mood of the song. I've made some tracks before hand & had some artists blow me away with what they can do, but when we sit down & plan it out I've had better results. I usually go 4bar intro-8 bar second intro-8 bar verse-4 bar 1st bridge-8 bar chorus-8 bar 2ndverse-4bar 2nd bridge-8 bar 2nd chorus-8 bar last verse-4 bar lastbridge-16bar chorus to end

listen to r&b on the radio..there is no samples..it is real instruments, real guitars being picked and strummed, real basses being fingered and slapped, and pianos being played...
just do what ashanti did. take a perfectly good rap song like scarface or biggie, dont do ANYTHING to the track, just loop it. hell, why dont you take the whole song actually it just means you can do less production work. then add your own lyrics and there you have it, a hit single. or not

just do what ashanti did. take a perfectly good rap song like scarface or biggie, dont do ANYTHING to the track, just loop it. hell, why dont you take the whole song actually it just means you can do less production work. then add your own lyrics and there you have it, a hit single. or not

...or u could maintain some credibility, and not do that:monkey:

sorry my bad that didnt really help with the question you asked. about rnb. i am not such a fan myself, as youve probably guessed, but ill give it a go. i find that its best to play several instruments. play perhaps a guitar and a bass and keyboard. that will get you by perfectly, although it will take some time. i play bass and keyboard and i can possibly lay an rnb track. and listen to what xabiton says about the keys not going over the voice because thats the worst thing, upstaging the voice. but yea if u say you can make hip hop beats, perhaps listen to quite a few rnb beats, and then get into the flow, and try and incorporate your hiphop ideas into the rnb track. obivously they are your own beats so you can take whatever you want.

peace

ok guys.. i wanna make my own hip hop beat and i have no idea wat so ever how to do it.. could someone please help me out? i dont noe wat program to use.. and if/when i get the program.. i probably wont noe how to use it

yep, I agree, hip hop and some R&B are too totally different artforms...

You have to know some music theory to make a good R&B beat...I would say learn how to read and write music, and sit down and play around with a keyboard to some of your favorite songs, just to develop your ear.

Even with some of the crossover rap/R&B beats, you have to have a sense of chord progression, which just takes practice. Also, know that besides the chords, the main difference between hip hop and R&B beats is that in hip hop beats, the drums dominate...in R&B, the melody dominates. So for more soulful R&B, start out with a solid melody and then have a "quieter" drum track that accents it.

Last edited:
as far as someone saying there are no samples in rnb....i don't know what rnb you are listening to, but i hear samples in rnb music on the radio all day long. That is the basis of so much rnb production now adays. thats the problem.....nobody is original anymore. everyone needs to quit worrying about what "makes" and rnb beat or what "makes" a hip hop beat and just run with it. quit trying to give music soooo many rules!

stop talking about ****ing radio!!!

true music is not radio! **** RADIO

todays rnb is NOT sampled

listen to calvin richardson, athony hamilton, dwele, raphael saadiq, musiq, even alicia keys....

cmon man...

I do listen to those artist, however those are just a few. what about your ashanti's, your mary j blige's, even usher.!!! there are samples all thru their music, but I'm not gonna argue about who samples what **** or not. the fact of the matter is is that there is samples in rnb and people need to quit trying to be like everybody else, just make a damn beat.and if it has a sample cool, if not who the hell cares!! and as far as saying true music isn't radio....quit trying to be all deep with your reply, so you tell us what is true rnb is then.

yea thats why I brought up the word "crossover" R&B beats...beats like Mary J Blige's and Ashanti's stuff...If you are talking about true Rhythm and Blues, you're talking live bands or completely composed material. Carl Thomas, Donnell Jones, Jill Scott, Alicia Keys, Musiq, Anthony Hamilton, some of Jagged Edge's stuff, Divine Mill, Touch of Jazz and Jazzy Jeff, Floetry, all of the artists recognized for their "soul" dont use samples in their beats.

But I agree...you really don't need a strict set of rules to go by when making an R&B beat... just make sure you make a beat that is artist-friendly...don't make some wild **** that nobody can write to, feel me? (unless you dont want lyrics with your beat)

Back