how to make my snares HIT

M

MVee

I use FL Studio 8, I've downloaded a plethora of drum kits and my snares always seem to sound weak. I've equalized, compressed, layered and everything, and the only time they sound loud enough they peak. How can I make my snares hit harder?

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have other elements in your mix that are too loud. This could be overpowering your snare. Work on the overall balance so you don't have to peak for your snare to come through in the mix.

Solo the kick and snare make sure sure they hit close to 0 and mix around that. If it still not hittin it's probably the samples.don't forget to layer your drums. Comp and eq should be used sparingly.

duplicate the track so you have double snare tracks

pan one left 15-20 and pan the other right 15-20

try that

Yea try and use good samples and I layer my snares and drums out the ass..(means alot for the slow ones..lol). like 1 song i did I had like 4 or 5 layered snares just to get this one big snare hit, try different stuff... eqing is ya best bet but you can also add fx to them just not alot....

Last edited:
Make Snares Hit Harder

I use FL Studio also. Couple years back I found an effect called a puncher, that does just what you need, i use it on both the individual track and the master track to give it a real pop and switch.

duplicate the track so you have double snare tracks

pan one left 15-20 and pan the other right 15-20

try that

This can lead to phase error.. You should delay the other track. I'd rather use some stereo expander plugin if you really need to have it wider.

Having two tracks isn't going to give you any fancy stereo effect no matter where they're panned if they're hitting at exactly the same time. And then again if you do the Haas effect (delaying one side by a small amount of miliseconds) you will get bad phase cancellation so I tend to avoid it.

To make an 808 snare hit I really think it's down to the low mids that they all have. Boost that and see if you get a better sound. Also like Casso said, get your mix right as well.

I found that adding a bit of reverb can give them a fuller sound. Give that a try.

Try taking a snare with a lower frequency sound and layering it with a snare with a mid/high frequency sound and delay the latter snare. Of course, you should always start off with quality sounds. Plus, you can get pretty crazy with the layering (you don't have to stop at two sounds) -- just make sure each layer has its own dominant frequency range so it mixes right.

Back