How to make my beats sound like this?

Padda

Hey guys,

I want to make a really west-coast style beat, and I have a question on how to make my beat have this specific sort of sound to it. If you hear the beat at the beginning of "Art of Peer Pressure", and many other rap tracks, you will notice that it sounds sort of "crunchy" or "static-y", and I was just wondering what should I adjust (in either Maschine Studio or Logic) to give the beats that sort of crunchy, static-y, west coast sound.

I'm really at a loss right now how else to describe it, but when you listen to it you'll know and I'm sure one of you with more knowledge than I will be able to point me in the right direction. As always, I appreciate the guidance.

youtube.com/watch?v=4rxlRn_nub0

Last edited:
Are you talking about the crackling sound? If so, there are many ways to achieve this sound. Two that come to mind

1. Push your sounds a plugin like trash
2. underlay dusty vinyl sample underneath your track

Assuming you have the cables to grab the sound from this video, this has 30 minutes of crackling.

Cutting and pasting should yield the precise crackle you want.

(Wouldn't let me post the link because I'm a noob here, but google 30 minute vinyl crackling sound YouTube to find.)

Otherwise, there are specific lo-fi vinyl VSTs out there for virtually all DAWs.

Back