How to make hard drums out of a break?

Rick Deckard

I've been using drums from other people since I started but now I really want to learn to make hard drums out of breaks. The problem is I don't know how to. I'm trying to do it by having the same break or chops from that break playing at the same time to make it louder but I find I still don't get the kicks and snares that the producers I listen to have. I also tried with an eq to get the highs of one and the lows of the other, wich gave closer results but still not the ones I want. I've googled this and there is information but I feel I'm missing something. Help?

Layering is the key here. You can watch some tutorials over youtube. there are lots of them there.

I am a little but confused. What exactly are you trying to do? I don't understand what you mean when you say making drums out of a break, and have the breaks play at the same time to make them louder? Huh? Same chops from what break?

You should clear up what you mean by "hard". If you want the drums louder, layering the same drum on top of each other is not really the way to do that. Just turn the volume up on the drum and turn other elements down. A compressor will help get more punch out of drums but only if you use it correctly, that's probably where you should start.

Back