How to make garage bass like this?

R

rurokenji

Hi guys,

As most of you guys, probably know, i am trying to recreate a garage kinda vibe. I have been listening to a lot of garage and their baselines all seem so clear and sharp (if you wanna say). I was told by a friend that i could recreate that sorta garage bass line by making a sub bass in ableton through operator. However, I haven't been able to make a bass line that sound as clear and smooth as the ones in the video's below. Any tips, guys?

Thanks!

Artful Dodger - Please Don't Turn Me On - YouTube

Fill Me In - YouTube

B15 project - Girls Like Us - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

chord prog 1st (to point out that there is a definite progression here)

i-ivm[sup]b5[/sup]-i-[sup]b[/sup]VI-[sup]b[/sup]VII - D[sup]#[/sup]m-G[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]b5[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]m-B-C[sup]#[/sup]) (E[sup]b[/sup]m-A[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]b5[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]m-C[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-)

bass line itself sounds like a smooth jazz bass type sound (bass guitar so get the scarbee Jaybass for kontakt) doubled with a nice cello line

chord prog again

i-v-[sup]b[/sup]VII - Cm - Gm - B[sup]b[/sup]

Same deal as the first one nice jazz bass again - it is the real deal but you can get close with the scarbee set....

Chord list
D[sup]#[/sup]m ~ D[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]
G[sup]#[/sup]m[sup]b5[/sup] ~ G[sup]#[/sup]-B-D
D[sup]#[/sup]m ~ D[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]
B ~ B-D[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]
C[sup]#[/sup] ~ C[sup]#[/sup]-E[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]
E[sup]b[/sup]m ~ E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]b5[/sup] ~ A[sup]b[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]
E[sup]b[/sup]m ~ E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]
C[sup]b[/sup] ~ C[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]
D[sup]b[/sup] ~ D[sup]b[/sup]-F-A[sup]b[/sup]
Cm ~ C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G
Gm ~ G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D
B[sup]b[/sup] ~ B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F

chord prog 1st (to point out that there is a definite progression here)

i-ivm[SUP]b5[/SUP]-i-[SUP]b[/SUP]VI-[SUP]b[/SUP]VII - D[SUP]#[/SUP]m-G[SUP]#[/SUP]m[SUP]b5[/SUP]-D[SUP]#[/SUP]m-B-C[SUP]#[/SUP]) (E[SUP]b[/SUP]m-A[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]b5[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]m-C[SUP]b[/SUP]-D[SUP]b[/SUP]-)

bass line itself sounds like a smooth jazz bass type sound (bass guitar so get the scarbee Jaybass for kontakt) doubled with a nice cello line

chord prog again

i-v-[SUP]b[/SUP]VII - Cm - Gm - B[SUP]b[/SUP]

Same deal as the first one nice jazz bass again - it is the real deal but you can get close with the scarbee set....

Chord list
D[SUP]#[/SUP]m ~ D[SUP]#[/SUP]-F[SUP]#[/SUP]-A[SUP]#[/SUP]
G[SUP]#[/SUP]m[SUP]b5[/SUP] ~ G[SUP]#[/SUP]-B-D
D[SUP]#[/SUP]m ~ D[SUP]#[/SUP]-F[SUP]#[/SUP]-A[SUP]#[/SUP]
B ~ B-D[SUP]#[/SUP]-F[SUP]#[/SUP]
C[SUP]#[/SUP] ~ C[SUP]#[/SUP]-E[SUP]#[/SUP]-G[SUP]#[/SUP]
E[SUP]b[/SUP]m ~ E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]
A[SUP]b[/SUP]m[SUP]b5[/SUP] ~ A[SUP]b[/SUP]-C[SUP]b[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]
E[SUP]b[/SUP]m ~ E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G[SUP]b[/SUP]-B[SUP]b[/SUP]
C[SUP]b[/SUP] ~ C[SUP]b[/SUP]-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G[SUP]b[/SUP]
D[SUP]b[/SUP] ~ D[SUP]b[/SUP]-F-A[SUP]b[/SUP]
Cm ~ C-E[SUP]b[/SUP]-G
Gm ~ G-B[SUP]b[/SUP]-D
B[SUP]b[/SUP] ~ B[SUP]b[/SUP]-D-F

Thanks fro the reply. By any chance, do you know of any free vst's that i could use, that i could use to get that effect?

What about sampling basslines from songs to use to play my notes? Can i get into any trouble for that? Say, i decided to release a song or something

Start with an untouched sine wave mate, add a 5th onto it but lower level. Use a shortish decay with longer release and make the note limit 2 so notes dont bleed into each other.

Back