how to make beats like this and what other producers make similar beats?

mylesp510

so basically i have learned to make some pretty decent beats. i can make some beats that sound dope, but their simple and not as good as i'd like. the only thing dope is the chords and the drums. i got better at those. my melodies suck.

take this beat for example. the chords are simple, but the melody is dope overall. the drums fit nice as well. i could try to make something similar and possibly the vibe is there, but musically it sucks. how would i go about making this style? what style chords and scales should i be using?

what other producers make similar beats to this that you can think of?

also what chords are in this beat and what notes are being played for the melody? im trying to figure out why they work well together.

---------- Post added 10-13-2013 at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-12-2013 at 09:51 PM ----------

anyone? lol

Last edited:
I wouldn't be able to tell you the specific chords but from watching boon doc I can tell you that he often to uses chords with 9's or 7's. Boon doc makes similar beats to this, he is big on his rhodes. I found his boon documented series to be really inspiring, hell the first episode is all about his journey to acquire his rhodes (yeah, an actual physical real life rhodes, not an emulation, and my god you can tell when he plays it). This is my first post so I can't give you the link but just search boon documented on youtube and you should find it no problem.

I wouldn't be able to tell you the specific chords but from watching boon doc I can tell you that he often to uses chords with 9's or 7's. Boon doc makes similar beats to this, he is big on his rhodes. I found his boon documented series to be really inspiring, hell the first episode is all about his journey to acquire his rhodes (yeah, an actual physical real life rhodes, not an emulation, and my god you can tell when he plays it). This is my first post so I can't give you the link but just search boon documented on youtube and you should find it no problem.

Thank you!! I know about boon doc already, but I forgot about him haha. I'll definitely go back to his videos and rewatch them

This might be able to help. Most of what he does are just minor 9 chords, and pretty much just plays around with the different notes in the chords, and vary inversions and the rhythm.

Last edited:
I recommend you to download some some new vst's. Sometimes the same chord with different sounds can beef up the beat & create your own sound.

how would i go about making this style? what style chords and scales should i be using?

also what chords are in this beat and what notes are being played for the melody? im trying to figure out why they work well together.

so chordally we have an interesting sequence (can't really call it a progression as there are no true cadences in it):

B[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] - B[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup][sub]/Db[/sub] (sustained) (I'm actually tempted to name that last one as D[sup]b11[/sup] or B[sub]/C#[/sub], but there is no B/C[sup]b[/sup] in it but there is a B[sup]b[/sup] there chagning the character from a dominant 11th to the more subtle m7 in third inversion

B[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] - B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-F-A[sup]b[/sup]
E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]
E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]7[/sup][sub]/Db[/sub] - E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup] with a D[sup]b[/sup] in the bass

D[sup]b[/sup][sup]11[/sup] - D[sup]b[/sup]-F-A[sup]b[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]
B[sub]/C#[/sub] - B-D[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]-A-C[sup]#[/sup]

D[sup]b[/sup] = C[sup]#[/sup]
C[sup]b[/sup] = B
E[sup]b[/sup] = D[sup]#[/sup]
G[sup]b[/sup] = F[sup]#[/sup]

as for the notes in the melody, use the scale B[sup]b[/sup]-(C)-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]
i.e. B[sup]b[/sup] natural minor

This might be able to help. Most of what he does are just minor 9 chords, and pretty much just plays around with the different notes in the chords, and vary inversions and the rhythm.

he was having way too much fun in the beginning lmao

Back