How long/many hours are needed to have a"good"understandingofmusictheoryfundamentals?

NoMirrors

How long/many hours are needed to have a"good"understandingofmusictheoryfundamentals?

I'm a rapper and like the beats I make right now, but I want to study music theory and want to know if I devoted a year where I practiced 4 hours a day 5 days/week would I have a good grip on music theory so the quality of my beats sound how I want them to. I've heard 10,000 hours equals mastery and don't disagree with that and I am pretty sure if I were to do this I would have a good foundation, but it's always nice to hear others second your thoughts or differing opinions. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Understanding music theory does not equal "the quality of your beats", just like buying the best goddamn hammer doesn't build you a house. It certainly helps and it's useful, but it's still only a tool.

You'd probably benefit from some professional tuition if you're going to put a decent number of hours into it. Yt is good far basics, but more advanced content is lacking a bit.

20 hrs a week for a year would make you pretty good at theory from a beatmakers perspective. You'd probably get a music A-level(or similar in whatever country you live in) with that number of hours, maybe that's something you'd consider doing as well.

10000 hours is a number gained from highly competetive professions where the only factor affecting success is how much you practice i.e. athletics, chess, classical instrumentalism.
A creative process like music doesn't really apply

"20 hrs a week for a year would make you pretty good at theory from a beatmakers perspective. "

Thank you scrapheaper. Appreciate it.

Music theory is great to know! But it might not help you create great beats... A lot of producers can't even read notes! What will help you in creating beats is sticking to one DAW and learning every thing about it! Your DAW is like a 2nd language... it will help you translate what you imagine in your head to what you hear with your ears! Of course everyone needs to know the basics of music theory... but mastering it is impossible and it won't help you be the next Neptunes!

Music theory is great to know! But it might not help you create great beats... A lot of producers can't even read notes! What will help you in creating beats is sticking to one DAW and learning every thing about it! Your DAW is like a 2nd language... it will help you translate what you imagine in your head to what you hear with your ears! Of course everyone needs to know the basics of music theory... but mastering it is impossible and it won't help you be the next Neptunes!

Thank you... appreciate it.

Yep. I know a lot of people without any formal training who are awesome musicians and makers of music. I also know a lot classically trained people who know their theory inside out, but still couldn't write a tune to save their life. You could look at music theory like you'd look at traffic rules - knowing them won't make you a good driver, but they're essential to know so you can apply the driving skills you have.

Back