Votes: 4 10.0%
  • 5-6years

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • 7 years +

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
D

djrethinkbeats

How long? i'v been producing for a year and a half.

I've been doing it seriously for about 2 years, but I've been playing around with music production since I was about 12 years old (I'm 21 now).

1 year and 4 months now, but I was a guitarist before that. Started playing guitar at 18yo (I'm 31 btw).

4 years but found out in 2012 fl and reason weren't videogames and started checking out other programs like them and fiddled 24/7 with synths and samplers to see what I liked best.

Not sure what else to say although I'm not serious about it I still like to learn more about all of this weird stuff because I'm just amazed by it.Not every day you give yourself a heart attack from doing something you wanted to do(didn't think was possible) since you were a kid.

started writing and playing guitar, bass and drums and singing in 1977, the rest has been a trip over the last 37 years

Last edited:
Got first place in my provincial band competition for snare drum when I was in like grade 5, forgot to mention I rocked dat snare. Didnt count that on my time though obviously, thats all rust now.

I started about 3 years ago, I think the oldest project I have saved is from early 2011.

Got first place in my provincial band competition for snare drum when I was in like grade 5, forgot to mention I rocked dat snare. Didnt count that on my time though obviously, thats all rust now.

I rocked the recorder in 5th grade, I'm not bragging, just saying.

I rocked the recorder in 5th grade, I'm not bragging, just saying.
LOL! Same here. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the school band class because I was a transfer.

I started producing in '02 when I saved up and bought my first MPC 2000xl. Made a few beats, but nothing spectacular. Got frustrated with my lack of musical skill and took piano lessons but gave it up along with producing and sold all my gear. Got back into it 4 years ago when I bought a guitar and took lessons. Changed my major to music and did two semesters of music theory and classical piano. Did two semesters of jazz improv and been studying and practicing ever since. Haven't made beats in awhile (sold some tracks last year, but haven't been active beyond that). These days I am focusing on developing musicianship and skill on my instrument. The long-term goal is to be able to incorporate elements of jazz and soul into my music (think Portishead/Massive Attack style music) and coordinate with a full band.

Last edited:
LOL! Same here. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the school band class because I was a transfer.

I still have the same recorder 11 years later, and its traveled with me through 4 moves and 2000+ miles, talk about Yamaha's build quality. I no longer know how to use it though.

Last edited:
Haha I think everyone played the recorder in elementary. How THAT became the universal instrument to teach all kids is beyond me.

It sure doesnt have very high 'stick with it' rate considering 99 percent of kids played one haha

I regret quitting drums soo much, played till grade 7. Would be killing em by now, I was just about to upgrade from Snare to the Kit (full-time, I still practiced on the kit) the next year but I was too embarrassed to continue with band in Highschool cuz I thought it would be a loser class. So wrong haha.

Last edited:
recorder is a go to instrument in the elementary grades because it promotes

eye-hand coordination,
fine motor skill development and
breath control

sadly most who teach it do not understand how to teach it well and it ends up being jettisoned because kids and parents can't get to grips with it - a badly played recorder is far more irritating than a violin and as most parents do not understand/know that the issue results from poor breath control, it gets put away out of reach when at home and so students do not develop the necessary control to play well

I find that teaching it at grade 7 works well as most kids can control most of their fingers and their breath control is much better, however as music is a generalist program in high schools here (in NSW, Australia grades 7-12) it is much easier to integrate it into a range of classes later as well. I also use it as a precursor class/term/semester to teaching singing as it forces students to learn how to control their breath over time....

recorder is a go to instrument in the elementary grades because it promotes

eye-hand coordination,
fine motor skill development and
breath control

sadly most who teach it do not understand how to teach it well and it ends up being jettisoned because kids and parents can't get to grips with it - a badly played recorder is far more irritating than a violin and as most parents do not understand/know that the issue results from poor breath control, it gets put away out of reach when at home and so students do not develop the necessary control to play well

I find that teaching it at grade 7 works well as most kids can control most of their fingers and their breath control is much better, however as music is a generalist program in high schools here (in NSW, Australia grades 7-12) it is much easier to integrate it into a range of classes later as well. I also use it as a precursor class/term/semester to teaching singing as it forces students to learn how to control their breath over time....

That makes sense, but the teacher who 'taught' me (and everyone else in the school) was the same teacher who taught us every other class. No experience besides for whatever information was in some book that was given to her I imagine.

Went to elementary in a really small town, there were like 40 kids from Kindergarten to Grade 8 haha. I didnt miss a zero or anything, 40. I think the exact number was 38 from K-8. It ended up getting shut down and now they all bus to a city 30 minutes away. Point is our music program wasn't exactly top priority haha. We had a band teacher that would drive in once(or twice?) a week that wasn't actually associated with the school, thats how I learnt the snare.

Last edited:
The recorder is tough to play well! I'd also like to hear some hiphop that incorporates it...

As for me, I'm not sure what constitutes as "producing", but started writing my own songs and playing in bands when I was about 14. So I guess that'd be some 20 years or so...

Mixing/Recording since 15yrs old...wow...20 years.

Producing since 18yrs old...16-17 years.

Wow, time flies. Guess I need to start considering myself a professional at this point, lol.

I bought my first drum machine back in 96....

....back then I used to make beat 'tapes' on recordable cassettes and pass them out to people.

Times have changed...

:cheers:

Been producing for about a year and a half, but it's been mostly playing around and stuff. But in the future i will try to do some more remixing and a little bit more serious stuff.

Back