How long can speakers be on before risking damage?

KonKossKang

Ozagas
How long can speakers be on and not overheat?Monitors/bookshelves etc blah blah that type of stuff.
When should a monitor be turned off? Why do some folks recommend monitors be on 24/7 if last time I check those things can get uncomfortably hot? Is that something to worry about or are they supposed to get to like 60*C most of the time?

[This why I bring this up these random links I found]

[Ice weather] Speakers - temperature tolerances? - Archived Threads 2001-2004 - Home Theater Forum
[Heat weather] https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/401850-heat-active-monitors.html

Does heat sinks matter in speakers?

Last edited by a moderator:
extreme temperatures - let them warm back to room temp first then all should be good - kind of like the advice for drinking red wine that it should be served at room temperature, but noone defines what that room temperature is so you have all sorts of gimmicks associated with warming them or even chilling them depending on where you live - that said whatever your normal room temperature is is what you should allow speakers that have been subjected to significantly colder or hotter temps to return to first

active speakers and specifically about heat sinks

speakers themselves no

amplifiers connected to speakers yes - a heat sink is a device for providing thermal coupling from the power transistors in the output stage to the exterior of the amplifier, possibly with fan driven cooling but at least allowing the heat to dissipate into a room - internally there will be little of that heat affecting the speakers the whole point of the heat sink is to take the heat outside not keep inside the cabinet

nothing to worry about really

Last edited:
I left mine on for a couple hours till it got to that level of hot where if you leave your hand on it it sting after 2-3 seconds.
So I'm gonna assume eris e5 monitors should not be on for longer than 4 hours at most before turning off for 1 hour minimum to be safe.

I had ADAM P11A for around 8 years and sold them in great condition
Had a lot of hours with them, and they were always great
If you're monitors are good they might just last forever :)

turning off because they are hot is not necessarily a good way to go - they are designed to run hot otherwise they would not have heat-sinks

perhaps the better way to think of this is if they are under heavy use reproducing music for hours on end then maybe, just maybe let them cool off. However they should be rate to work for at least 8 hours a day uninterrupted and more like 16 hours or so

Back