How Long to Become a Great Producer?

SimonT

How long does it take to become a great producer, producing good chart worthy stuff? or not chart worthy, however you look at it, but good none the less. I been learning for almost 2yrs, and still feel I'm only a quarter, if not a fifth of the way there. That is with attending college for 2 yrs too. There is a hell of a lot more to it than I thought, but it is going rather slow. I thought I'd be further ahead by now. I am a little limited though I suppose, with using Reason 6.5. I know it lacks a lot in comparison to say Logic, Cubase, Abelton or Pro Tools, but it is getting there (slowly lol!). I'm upgrading in 3 days to Reason 7, then 7.1 for free, and 8 for free in October. I have been told, it takes 7yrs+ to get really talented at this. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

It varies from person to person. It may take someone with no musical knowledge at all a while to learn, BUT you never know have many hours that person may study or how many beats they make per day. It is really a question that has no answer, Also the 7yrs+ thing is also wrong. it may take someone with musical knowledge no time to start cranking out some beats. The Most Important Thing in my answer is Never tell yourself that your Great. Keep working until your even greater. just my 2 cents

How long does it take to become a great producer, producing good chart worthy stuff? or not chart worthy, however you look at it, but good none the less. I been learning for almost 2yrs, and still feel I'm only a quarter, if not a fifth of the way there. That is with attending college for 2 yrs too. There is a hell of a lot more to it than I thought, but it is going rather slow. I thought I'd be further ahead by now. I am a little limited though I suppose, with using Reason 6.5. I know it lacks a lot in comparison to say Logic, Cubase, Abelton or Pro Tools, but it is getting there (slowly lol!). I'm upgrading in 3 days to Reason 7, then 7.1 for free, and 8 for free in October. I have been told, it takes 7yrs+ to get really talented at this. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I think it depends on many variable aspects of each person. For example, the Noisia guys have released their first commercial songs in 2003, but achieved a "mainstream" success just recently (I believe it was 2010). But how long have they been producing before 2003? Let's say they have spent at least 15 years into production.

To the OP if you are already asking yourself how long will it take you may want to quit but there is no how long as what is imperative is that you enjoy what you are doing but know the reality is that you will not become famous, overnight or otherwise and you need to slap some reality into the person who told you 7+ years is what it takes.

Last edited:
Ive been working on this for about 4-6 years now. I had a slow start. Now I have stuff on soundcloud and some of I like pretty good but some of it is blah. I really don't take that much time into my stuff sometimes but I have recently.

I feel if you want you can look at my stuff to see where I'm at. Iwas a slow learner but now ive caught on a lot. After 2 years of mixing and about a year of mastering a little bit im still slowly growing. I really don't practice much but I can't absorb a lot all in one week anyways. I like that I've taken the slow road and just kept on trying although I do get frustrated. Im finally about to come out with a soundcloud song with reverb too.

7 years sounds about right im guessing from my GUESS.

Ive been working on this for about 4-6 years now. I had a slow start. Now I have stuff on soundcloud and some of I like pretty good but some of it is blah. I really don't take that much time into my stuff sometimes but I have recently.

I feel if you want you can look at my stuff to see where I'm at. Iwas a slow learner but now ive caught on a lot. After 2 years of mixing and about a year of mastering a little bit im still slowly growing. I really don't practice much but I can't absorb a lot all in one week anyways. I like that I've taken the slow road and just kept on trying although I do get frustrated. Im finally about to come out with a soundcloud song with reverb too.

7 years sounds about right im guessing from my GUESS. If you wanna have a listen Im Anthony Lowery on sound cloud with Japan Fantasy is the one I like.

it varies from person to person depending if theyre naturally good at music or how much they practice and their pace of learning. ive been producing since 2000 and only in the last 2-3 years im getting to a stage im happy with. ive taken a few breaks in that time too so havent been as active as i was say back in '05-'09 when i used be on FL every day.

I was totally ignorant about production one year ago, i started in august and now i can make "decent" beats. Still i've a long way to go.

But if you think that great equals fame, it's only luck, look at Grimes, she really sucks at producing but she's still famous.

Could come to you when you touch your first key/pad...you could never get it. It's a dice roll. I spend most of my time trying to recreate the unorthodox style I once had because i've tainted myself with knowledge. Serves great for my mixing, but I can't just make "rule breaking unorthodox" beats that once got me all the attention as a producer. Everything's too structured now. #message

Last edited:
Back