how to legaly sell beats?

There's only one way to sell a beat. You give your client the beat and they pay you. It's as simple as that. It doesn't cost you anything to sell it because you're, well, selling it. But that was a broad question. Are you looking for info on how much to sell it for, legal contracts, licensing, etc... Be a little more specific and we can help you out better.

I can say to always have a contract that outlines the terms of the beat you're selling. Is it exclusive or non-exclusive. How many points you're asking for if this is going on someones album that's gonna be packaged and sold in stores with a barcode. You gotta cover the basics in the contract. How much you're selling it for. If they're leasing the beat, how long is the lease. Do you have the right to continue to shop the beat, that means it'll be non-exclusively sold to the artist. But you don't just want to sell a beat, get cash and that's it. Make sure you get credit for the beat and make sure it's copyrighted. Keep a copy of the receipt for selling the beat. Yes you should give them a receipt just like they bought something from a store. Plus you need to keep track of the money you make off selling beats for your own tax purposes especially if you're registered as a business. It's alot to be covered, but if you're more specific that'll help. Peace.

Say if I just sold a beat, Straight up cash for the track, thats it. After reading this I see that I did some things wrong. As far as the copyrighting and what not, should i take the "legal route" and actually send the material off to D.C or would the "poor man's" route be appropriate? Is it to late to go back and enter a contract into the agreement? Or am I just screwed?

Well I wouldn't look at it as being screwed. I would first get back in contact with the person you sold them to and basically tell them you want to give them a receipt for the transaction for your financial records and yours. Get a simple receipt book from staples or office depot. Write them a receipt with the date of sale on it and make sure you have the carbon copy of it. That way you have proof of sale to the individual. Or you can draft a short contract for the two of you to sign which can act as a sales receipt and both of you can sign it. Have it state the day you sold it, how much, who you sold it to (Government Name and Stage Name) and the rights that you're giving them. Exclusive or Non-exclusive. You don't have to let them know that you screwed up or anything, but just tell them it's for your sales records.

As far as copyright, definitely submit it to the Library of Congress in DC. It's only $45 and you can fit I think up to 10 songs per cd. Don't quote me on the number per CD. Just check out the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
mtp1178 said:
Say if I just sold a beat, Straight up cash for the track, thats it. After reading this I see that I did some things wrong. As far as the copyrighting and what not, should i take the "legal route" and actually send the material off to D.C or would the "poor man's" route be appropriate? Is it to late to go back and enter a contract into the agreement? Or am I just screwed?

1. you already sold it... nothing else you can do (unless the guy you sold it to says he will do it... and I can't inagine why he would)

2. there is no such thing as a "poor mans copyright"... all I can say about that is that it is 100% completely and absolutely worthless, anbd if you rely on that, you surely will be a "poor man". It is equally as legally binding as putting your song on a CD and waving your hand over it and saying "with the power of my magical handwave, this piece of music now has all the protection in the universe!"

my producer is kinda unprofessional, he just sells it and gets cash and doesnt copyright or sign contract lol just as long as the money comes in

LennyBlaze said:
my producer is kinda unprofessional, he just sells it and gets cash and doesnt copyright or sign contract lol just as long as the money comes in

By just selling cash and no contract or record of sale he's setting himself up to be taken advantage of. Without copyright anybody can say they made that beat and copyright it. And he has no proof to prove them wrong. Even cats that got money will take advantage of that. Let's say his track makes it big or he sells to a Big named artist, he has no legal right to claim any royalties or anything. You gotta outline in a contract what you'll get out of the deal. Licensing is so important. When Kanye sells a beat he's definitely making a lot of money from selling it, but best believe he's getting points off of it too. Plus he's a member of a licensing organization, so he gets paid when it's in a movie, on a CD, a commercial, and even played in a club. That's why you want to make sure you copyright and then are a member of BMI, ASCAP, or one of the other licensing organizations.

Thank you I realy apreciate the info. My question pertains to the fact that I've been makin beats for a few years and I am ready to make a life out of it. The problem is I have limited income and knowlege of the business side of things. So I am trying to get this going asap but I don't want to do something that gets me in trouble. So would you recomend getting the copyright before or after the beat is sold or can it go both ways? And I thought trademarks were the way to make the beat legaly yours. Did I have that mixed up? But ya man, thats the story. I know the beats can and will sell. I just need some direction. Thank you for any help you give me I am forever greatfull!

much love,
TYS

Thank you I realy apreciate the info. My question pertains to the fact that I've been makin beats for a few years and I am ready to make a life out of it. The problem is I have limited income and knowlege of the business side of things. So I am trying to get this going asap but I don't want to do something that gets me in trouble. So would you recomend getting the copyright before or after the beat is sold or can it go both ways? And I thought trademarks were the way to make the beat legaly yours. Did I have that mixed up? But ya man, thats the story. I know the beats can and will sell. I just need some direction. Thank you for any help you give me I am forever greatfull!

much love,
TYS

Last edited:
Does anyone know a site where you can find a contract on selling beats like i have no idea what the contract should say.

musiclydstn said:

much love,
TYS

much love,
TYS

How the HELL do you trademark a beat? ITS CALLED COPYRIGHT!

musiclydstn said:
So would you recomend getting the copyright before or after the beat is sold or can it go both ways? And I thought trademarks were the way to make the beat legaly yours. Did I have that mixed up? But ya man, thats the story. I know the beats can and will sell. I just need some direction. Thank you for any help you give me I am forever greatfull!

much love,
TYS

That's what this forum is for homey. We all trying to help each other out. When it comes to beats all you need to be concerned with is the copyright. Don't worry about trademarking. A trademark protects words, phrases/Slogans, symbols/logos and designs.

When you sold your beat to whoever, I'm pretty sure you burned it on a disc and gave them a physical CD with the beat on it, right? Well, you've copyrighted your beat. When the beat is finished and physically burned to CD or recorded to DAT, 2-inch reel, Cassette or even 8-track (lol), it's protected by copyright. Seriously, when it's created in a tangible form it's protected. Sending it to the library of Congress simply registers the Copyright. All that to say, you've already copyrighted your material when you burned it so now you just have to send in the paperwork to register it.

So don't think that you can't send in the paperwork for registration just because you've sold the beat. You created the song and bounced it to disc so you're covered. Now just register it. If you want to do more research on it and not just take my word for it, check out www.copyright.gov.

Peace and good luck fam!!

musiclydstn said:

much love,
TYS

Trademarks have nothing to do with music. Copyright is what relates to music (well, creative works in general)

a trademark is something that distinguishes your goods or services from someone elses (i.e., you trademark your name)

You hold a legal copyright in your work from the moment you record it. This is regardless of whether you register or not. There are several benefits to registering, though. Check out www.copyright.gov and you can get some info.

How does my song become copyrighted?

Straight from the BMI website!!!!

Do not confuse acquiring a copyright with registering your claim to copyright. You acquire copyright (legal protection of the law) automatically when your work is “created,” which is defined as being “fixed” in a copy or recording for the first time. For example, the moment that you lift your pen off the finished lead sheet or turn off the tape recorder after completing taping your composition, the song is deemed “created” and the copyright begins.
Registration of your copyright is recommended (but not required) and is accomplished by filing a Form PA with $45 and one copy of your unpublished song on a record, tape or lead sheet, two copies if the song has been published. Song lyrics without music can also be registered, whether they are published or not. (A song is considered to have been “published” when lead sheets or printed copies of the music, or copies of a record or tape containing the song, are distributed to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease or lending. Public performance of the song, however, does not by itself constitute a “publication.")

I think I'm kinda late on this one but if anybody else see's this and want s to sell beats on line this guy allen brown aka fatfingers abosolutly drops mad knowlege on his site it's the first sign on my signature CHECK IT OUT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddiemagic5 said:
Does anyone know a site where you can find a contract on selling beats like i have no idea what the contract should say.

Cant You Just Type Out The Contact Yourself?....Maybe even get it notarized...with the state stamp....?...I asking also?..B.K.

I got these pre made contracts from another source i can send u if u want hit me up

Modernbeats.com my man.....And they have quite a few on there

Back