how to legaly sell beats?

yeah just saying am doing this for a while now i've build a few riddims/beat myself sold few but havent been making much from it, such my beats r good. but people tends to buy my beat for less cause i dont have a name. and although my beats r sometimes better its the same.

well i've seen that the "poor man's"theory, by some doesnt work,well am signed to "JCAP" thats in jamaica do i have to bring the beats there everytime to copyright?

wait a min, when i do that they asked if it play on the radio. why do they ask that? if its a new beat.

yeah just saying am doing this for a while now i've build a few riddims/beat myself sold few but havent been making much from it, such my beats r good. but people tends to buy my beat for less cause i dont have a name. and although my beats r sometimes better its the same.

well i've seen that the "poor man's"theory, by some doesnt work,well am signed to "JCAP" thats in jamaica do i have to bring the beats there everytime to copyright?

wait a min, when i do that they asked if it play on the radio. why do they ask that? if its a new beat.

You should get into the lease market, there's so much more money in that then there is trying to see your beat exclusively.

The lease market basically means that when you make a beat and put it out for sale, you can sell it more than once, so if it's a hot beat, you could sell it for $20 to about 200 people, and if you do the math, that's $4000 in your pocket in one day.

I've been in the business myself for years and I've known some people who have made $15,000 in just 3 days.

Check out rocbattle.com it's a good place to start getting paid and get to know the lease market better. there's a lot of competition there so you better be ready.

Peace

Thats up to you

clearing samples.

Who's responsibility is that ? The beat maker or the person who's going rap and sing over it and ultimately, selling it?

it depends on the contract you decide. You can sell the beat to them and on the contract tell them that you are not responsible for that they have to clear it. Which i believe is 500 dollars dont quote me on that!!

i've read your post, and i suppose i understood it.
I think i couldnt explain my point well. My bad. My english is not great.
My point is... That i can write what i want in contract, i mean, i can write my own contract conditions or terms, but every contract and agreement has its module, or model (whatever its called) about the form how it should be written. Thats why i need some premade contracts to get an idea about those forms and models.

I hope i could explain my point well enough now.

So, can anyone give me link where i can find premade contracts for free? Or can anyone send it on my mail please? :)

buddy just buy it its like 30 dollars man. Stop leeching off of others!

i just started reading the posts under this thread because of the fact that i've been making beats for many years now and i feel that i need to start selling some. So now i'm wondering where to start...are there any tutorials or web sites that can point me in the right direction?

-1-

read the top it explains in all essence what you need to do!

Copyright everything first then worry about the rest!

Alright, I just want to clarify all the points given in this thread. Once I make a beat and put it in a physical form, i.e. CD, cassette, etc., it is copyrighted. You only need to register the copyright so you can claim it as your own legally.
You need to make up a contract with the buyer of the beat that states all proponents of the deal, publishing, points, sample clearance, etc. I'm confused on this part. Should you have a lawyer to hammer out all of the details or can you write it out yourself in lamans terms?

sell beats online

I sell my beats on beatmatrix.com and the contract & terms are outlined on the website so the buyers know what time it is.

My friend had it designed for about $600 from neocreatives.com - it's worth going through this route because you have little to worry about after this. Just put your tracks up and wait for sales...

1. you already sold it... nothing else you can do (unless the guy you sold it to says he will do it... and I can't inagine why he would)

2. there is no such thing as a "poor mans copyright"... all I can say about that is that it is 100% completely and absolutely worthless, anbd if you rely on that, you surely will be a "poor man". It is equally as legally binding as putting your song on a CD and waving your hand over it and saying "with the power of my magical handwave, this piece of music now has all the protection in the universe!"

I agree with everything he said...

i've never heard of trademarking a beat, but you are supposed to publish it. most computer music programs let you publish through the program. Sony ACID for example, has a link on the file part where you save and open songs that says publish. click it and it'll let you publish through ACID or any other companies that do song publishing. i used to use Paramount, which although has been said to be a scam, is not a horrible price if you record the songs or beats yourself and send them the audio file. or you can redneck copyright where you just put the song or beat on youtube and at the end post the copyright symbol with your real name first and last with middle initial. there's a lot of sites that will help promote and add to your fanbase for a cheap monthly or yearly membership too. reverbnation, soundclick, 20dollarbeatz, etc... it might cost a little bit to get set-up at first, but the fanbase you gain, and the amount of artists you sell the beats too is well worth it in my eyes. also, don't be afraid to do some self promotion through myspace, facebook, myyearbook, XXL, Source, MusiciansFriend, etc... any sites or digital places that have a large amount of people congregating there. even local shows or venues can help out a lot. just make sure you do your best producing, and if you decide to go digital, try to be as friendly, helpful, and human as possible. if you ever have any radio play, get your friends and family to call the stations and request the songs every day for as long you can. make sure you contact other producers once in awhile for collabos and artist exploration. don't steal their artists, just you know make friends with em and if you have a different sound than one producer, they'l come to you with the ideas that might fit your sound better. for any more info, tips, ideas, or if you have any questions what-so-ever, you can contact me via email:
mobhollows@yahoo.com

thank you for your time,
Mob Hollows

RocBattle

I usually get sales from Soundclick & Rocbattle. Make sure you have the business aspect of music also & have your paperwork ready at all times!

how can i add a lisense to a beat and make it have a copyright? im kinda starter and i dont know much english so plz no weird words:) thx in advance.

The easiest way to sell a beat is in person, Invite someone to your studio and make one in his face, So online, you would use aim or skype and make a beat in the customers presence to sell

itsmeheadboydotcom

276050_100000435115716_8290000_n.jpg

1. you already sold it... nothing else you can do (unless the guy you sold it to says he will do it... and I can't inagine why he would)

2. there is no such thing as a "poor mans copyright"... all I can say about that is that it is 100% completely and absolutely worthless, anbd if you rely on that, you surely will be a "poor man". It is equally as legally binding as putting your song on a CD and waving your hand over it and saying "with the power of my magical handwave, this piece of music now has all the protection in the universe!"

That's a totally false statement. Copyright protection in the United States exists with or without registration with the United States Copyright Office, or anywhere else for that matter. Copyright arises automatically from the moment you create an original, copyrightable work. BUT, in the event of a dispute over the ownership, you're gonna to be able to prove you are the creator of your work. Which is where copyrights come in handy. If the people he sold the track to use it on a major label he could still pursue legal action. All he would have to do is prove that he created the music and that they got it from him e.g., email convos, etc. A copyright would just make it easier, but by no means is he just screwed 100%.

Back