how to legaly sell beats?

MOEPRODUCTIONS said:
I got these pre made contracts from another source i can send u if u want hit me up

Thanks Moe For the contracts....

I saw someone on here mentioned ASCAP and MBI I've heard of them before but I'm confused on what exactly they are for.

I dont follow the rules for **** but have to start to do so here in the near future with getting some good projects line up.

step 1 - copy right your ****.
google "copyright office"
they have the forms in PDF

step 2 - have a basic contract stating the price you are selling it for and outline the purpose of the work sold. Pretty much list the fact if you are selling 100% of the rights away or split ownership.
And the fact that you are seeking 50% of publishing (standard producer cut)

Step 3 - Sign publishing forms attach your publishing ID#

Oh yea collect your paper in the process of the 'Step 0.5' lol
I take most paper upfront before I start to work. That way, I make sure I got the proper motivation to provide top notch service for the client.

And "poor man copyright" is very much legit.
ex: if you release a song now March 2008 and you use a beat that I made in 2006 (im not talkin about claiming the beat 'sounds' like mine) and I come to court with a sealed envelope with the date stamp in the proper place with the work I did in 2006, and you cant provide no evidence that you have had posetion of this work prior to 2008, you loose. Pretty simple game.

DaBosnian said:
I dont follow the rules for **** but have to start to do so here in the near future with getting some good projects line up.

step 1 - copy right your ****.
google "copyright office"
they have the forms in PDF

step 2 - have a basic contract stating the price you are selling it for and outline the purpose of the work sold. Pretty much list the fact if you are selling 100% of the rights away or split ownership.
And the fact that you are seeking 50% of publishing (standard producer cut)

Step 3 - Sign publishing forms attach your publishing ID#

Oh yea collect your paper in the process of the 'Step 0.5' lol
I take most paper upfront before I start to work. That way, I make sure I got the proper motivation to provide top notch service for the client.

And "poor man copyright" is very much legit.
ex: if you release a song now March 2008 and you use a beat that I made in 2006 (im not talkin about claiming the beat 'sounds' like mine) and I come to court with a sealed envelope with the date stamp in the proper place with the work I did in 2006, and you cant provide no evidence that you have had posetion of this work prior to 2008, you loose. Pretty simple game.

you don't get your music copyrighted with the copyright office... You register the copyright you already have.

A 50% cut of publishing for a producer would only make sense if tv producer wrote at least 50% of the song (and there is no "standard" anything... One producers role may be completely different from another)

"publishing ID#"? What is that?

"poor mans copyright" is completely absolutely totally 100% worthless and does not exist. A sealed envelope with a postmark means nothing and proves nothing. A person could mail a bunch of unsealed envelopes to himself and just put a cd in it years later and seal it. Worthless.

(for example, to add to your scenario... I take an unsealed envelope I mailed to myself in 2004, put the song in the envelope today and seal it. Now I have "proof" that I made the song in 2004! Now I wrote the song 2 years before you did! ...did I already mention that this "poor mans copyright" crap is worthless? :rolleyes: )

It would be cool, if someone could provide us with a complete tutorial how to legally sell Beatz online and with what kind of contracts and al the steps needed !

MOEPRODUCTIONS said:
I think I'm kinda late on this one but if anybody else see's this and want s to sell beats on line this guy allen brown aka fatfingers abosolutly drops mad knowlege on his site it's the first sign on my signature CHECK IT OUT!

Is fatfingers on onlinehustkers.com Im trying to figure out if thats the right site or not.

what's up everybody?

I am coming on the tail end of this. I had a few questions about track sales and prices you should charge nowadays for your tracks.

First thing, If you have a local/unsigned rapper wanting to get a track, how much should you charge ?

I have had a couple of unknowns hit me up on PMP for tracks, I am not sure what to charge or to even bother because I am aiming for major projects. So what should you charge for small projects.

Also, when you "sell" a beat, do you just give them the track on cd or do you give up the Pro Tools masters ??

Is there a standard way to handle these tranactions?

Please advise

I have a question. I have a situation where someone used my beat with no real authority from me. it is not a mixed version, and they dont have the PT session. The song has like 24,000 plays on myspace and there putting it on a mixtape. I just want to know the best way to approach and handle this situation on getting money and selling it in a civil way, instead of crackin skulls. i want to come up with a contract but i really have no expierience in doing so. Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

Clearing samples.

Who's responsibility is that ? The beat maker or the person who's going rap and sing over it and ultimately, selling it?

i actually just read that book for class, donald passman's All You Need To Know About the Music Business. i agree, anyone with questions do yourself a favor and read it

see now this is where the game gets twisted.

imma jus subscribe 2 this mess, slide it in one o my folders......

i read somewhea on a thread on hea that premade contracts are worthless too... anyone got any consultation on this concept? i got a folder chock full o premade contracts, are they all useless?

WatchWhatHappens1204 said:
see now this is where the game gets twisted.

imma jus subscribe 2 this mess, slide it in one o my folders......

i read somewhea on a thread on hea that premade contracts are worthless too... anyone got any consultation on this concept? i got a folder chock full o premade contracts, are they all useless?

Those contracts you find online or that people give you are useless...

BECAUSE...

You don't know what those contracts are saying. Someone may even give you a theoretically "good" contract but that contract may not be good for *you*

It is like taking unlabeled medicine: if you are sick, you do not drink from a bottle labeled "medicine"... You go to a doctor who will give you the proper medicine for you in your situation.

But the fact is, most of those contracts I see thrown around the Internet are bad...

PLUS...

When you get a contract titled "artist contract" how do you know if it is good for you to sign? Do you know if it is designed to be favorable to the artist or the label?

You will be better off just writing what you want on a napkin.

Read this thread.... It has already been said here.

dvyce said:
Those contracts you find online or that people give you are useless...

they can be usefull to just read them and get the idea about how to write your own contract.

I tried to search premade contracts of all kind in music biz. but I couldnt find any FREE one...

can anyone send me premade contracts please? :rolleyes:

ApolloG said:
they can be usefull to just read them and get the idea about how to write your own contract.

I tried to search premade contracts of all kind in music biz. but I couldnt find any FREE one...

can anyone send me premade contracts please? :rolleyes:

You either read only the first sentence of my post...

Or...

You read my whole post and missed the entire point of what I was saying.

If you only read the first sentence, then go back and read my whole post...

If you read the whole thing and just did not "get it"... Well, in all hpnesty, then how do you expect to understand a contract written in specific "legalese" enough modify it and to apply it to your particular situation? Seriously. There is a reason you need a lawyer to interpret contracts.

Either way, re-read my post and try to understand what I am saying.

I've read your post, and I suppose I understood it.
I think I couldnt explain my point well. my bad. my english is not great.
my point is... that I can write what I want in contract, I mean, I can write my own contract conditions or terms, but every contract and agreement has its module, or model (whatever its called) about the Form how it should be written. thats why i need some premade contracts to get an idea about those forms and models.

I hope I could explain my point well enough now.

so, can anyone give me link where i can find premade contracts for FREE? or can anyone send it on my mail please? :)

I just started reading the posts under this thread because of the fact that I've been making beats for many years now and I feel that I need to start selling some. So now I'm wondering where to start...are there any tutorials or web sites that can point me in the right direction?

-1-

Back