Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: how to legaly sell beats?

musiclydstn is offline Registered User

how to legaly sell beats?

Sign in to disable this ad
    What is the easiest and cheapest way to legaly sell a beat?

AbsolutMuzik is offline Warrior Member
    There's only one way to sell a beat. You give your client the beat and they pay you. It's as simple as that. It doesn't cost you anything to sell it because you're, well, selling it. But that was a broad question. Are you looking for info on how much to sell it for, legal contracts, licensing, etc... Be a little more specific and we can help you out better.

I can say to always have a contract that outlines the terms of the beat you're selling. Is it exclusive or non-exclusive. How many points you're asking for if this is going on someones album that's gonna be packaged and sold in stores with a barcode. You gotta cover the basics in the contract. How much you're selling it for. If they're leasing the beat, how long is the lease. Do you have the right to continue to shop the beat, that means it'll be non-exclusively sold to the artist. But you don't just want to sell a beat, get cash and that's it. Make sure you get credit for the beat and make sure it's copyrighted. Keep a copy of the receipt for selling the beat. Yes you should give them a receipt just like they bought something from a store. Plus you need to keep track of the money you make off selling beats for your own tax purposes especially if you're registered as a business. It's alot to be covered, but if you're more specific that'll help. Peace.
    likes this.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=white]A.M.
    [URL="http://www.untitledmusicandmedia.com/"]www.untitledmusicandmedia.com[/URL][SIZE=2]
    [URL="http://www.imeem.com/absolutmuzik"]www.imeem.com/absolutmuzik[/URL]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

mtp1178 is offline Registered User
    Say if I just sold a beat, Straight up cash for the track, thats it. After reading this I see that I did some things wrong. As far as the copyrighting and what not, should i take the "legal route" and actually send the material off to D.C or would the "poor man's" route be appropriate? Is it to late to go back and enter a contract into the agreement? Or am I just screwed?

Well I wouldn't look at it as being screwed. I would first get back in contact with the person you sold them to and basically tell them you want to give them a receipt for the transaction for your financial records and yours. Get a simple receipt book from staples or office depot. Write them a receipt with the date of sale on it and make sure you have the carbon copy of it. That way you have proof of sale to the individual. Or you can draft a short contract for the two of you to sign which can act as a sales receipt and both of you can sign it. Have it state the day you sold it, how much, who you sold it to (Government Name and Stage Name) and the rights that you're giving them. Exclusive or Non-exclusive. You don't have to let them know that you screwed up or anything, but just tell them it's for your sales records.

As far as copyright, definitely submit it to the Library of Congress in DC. It's only $45 and you can fit I think up to 10 songs per cd. Don't quote me on the number per CD. Just check out the website.
    Last edited by AbsolutMuzik; 08-01-2006 at 12:15 PM.
    [URL="http://www.untitledmusicandmedia.com/"]www.untitledmusicandmedia.com[/URL][SIZE=2]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

mtp1178 is offline Registered User
    Thanx for the advice

dvyce is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtp1178
    Say if I just sold a beat, Straight up cash for the track, thats it. After reading this I see that I did some things wrong. As far as the copyrighting and what not, should i take the "legal route" and actually send the material off to D.C or would the "poor man's" route be appropriate? Is it to late to go back and enter a contract into the agreement? Or am I just screwed?

1. you already sold it... nothing else you can do (unless the guy you sold it to says he will do it... and I can't inagine why he would)

2. there is no such thing as a "poor mans copyright"... all I can say about that is that it is 100% completely and absolutely worthless, anbd if you rely on that, you surely will be a "poor man". It is equally as legally binding as putting your song on a CD and waving your hand over it and saying "with the power of my magical handwave, this piece of music now has all the protection in the universe!"

LennyBlaze is offline Registered User
    my producer is kinda unprofessional, he just sells it and gets cash and doesnt copyright or sign contract lol just as long as the money comes in
    FOR HOT CHEAP BEATS STARTING AT 30$

www.soundclick.com/djtavobeats

Quote Originally Posted by LennyBlaze
    my producer is kinda unprofessional, he just sells it and gets cash and doesnt copyright or sign contract lol just as long as the money comes in
    By just selling cash and no contract or record of sale he's setting himself up to be taken advantage of. Without copyright anybody can say they made that beat and copyright it. And he has no proof to prove them wrong. Even cats that got money will take advantage of that. Let's say his track makes it big or he sells to a Big named artist, he has no legal right to claim any royalties or anything. You gotta outline in a contract what you'll get out of the deal. Licensing is so important. When Kanye sells a beat he's definitely making a lot of money from selling it, but best believe he's getting points off of it too. Plus he's a member of a licensing organization, so he gets paid when it's in a movie, on a CD, a commercial, and even played in a club. That's why you want to make sure you copyright and then are a member of BMI, ASCAP, or one of the other licensing organizations.

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

musiclydstn is offline Registered User
    Thank you I realy apreciate the info. My question pertains to the fact that I've been makin beats for a few years and I am ready to make a life out of it. The problem is I have limited income and knowlege of the business side of things. So I am trying to get this going asap but I don't want to do something that gets me in trouble. So would you recomend getting the copyright before or after the beat is sold or can it go both ways? And I thought trademarks were the way to make the beat legaly yours. Did I have that mixed up? But ya man, thats the story. I know the beats can and will sell. I just need some direction. Thank you for any help you give me I am forever greatfull!

much love,
    TYS

Thank you I realy apreciate the info. My question pertains to the fact that I've been makin beats for a few years and I am ready to make a life out of it. The problem is I have limited income and knowlege of the business side of things. So I am trying to get this going asap but I don't want to do something that gets me in trouble. So would you recomend getting the copyright before or after the beat is sold or can it go both ways? And I thought trademarks were the way to make the beat legaly yours. Did I have that mixed up? But ya man, thats the story. I know the beats can and will sell. I just need some direction. Thank you for any help you give me I am forever greatfull!

much love,
    TYS
    Last edited by musiclydstn; 08-03-2006 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Eddiemagic5 is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone know a site where you can find a contract on selling beats like i have no idea what the contract should say.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information