How good where you guys a year after you guys had started to produce?

DJTeddy

Just wanted to ask this questions to see how i am doing progress wise. I have been producing a year and something now and i feel like i am making good progress with everything well except for melodies. Seems i spent all my time focusing on sound design that i can not even write a basic melody. :/

i knew how to make basic beats but the tracks sounded like crap since i didnt have good sounds to use or practice to mix them properly. didnt have internet access at the time so couldnt get help on forums or download samples/vsts to use.

Well then you know what to focus on next.

It's a bit hard to remember for me, but a lot happened in a year for me, I went from complete crap to music that sounded like it actually was produced by a human being.
But it wasn't until 1,5 years that it all started to take real shape for me. To be honest it feels like a lot more happened duting the following 6 months than the whole previous year.

In one year I ventured through many sub-genres of electronic music, starting out with brostep, turning to old-school dubstep, then deep dubstep. Then I realized I liked drum and bass far more than dubstep and started a second project, aimed specially at more darker sounding dnb like darkstep and neurofunk. then, I noticed that my music was too "atmospheric" for drum and bass and ended up with my actual project of dark ambient/industrial ambient.

And I'm very fond of it, as I could finally be more "free" to experiment with different things. My audio manipulation skills have increased a lot during this time, as far as that I could manage to get a dark ambient song from the midi notes for "Garota de Ipanema", as requisited from a friend of mine.

So, basically I feel I've grown a lot during this last year as musician but the best of all is to be free of any "rules" that are out there.

Yes, I know that music is subjective and that there are no rules but: "your snare is over-compressed!", "your kick isn't hard enough for dubstep!", "your chorus doesn't have 64 bars!", "your intro is too long!".

interesting topic

i started in june this year so cant really comment, learned so much information in 6 months im surprised my head hasn't exploded, a lot came from forums like this one

Only real problem i ever have is making the sound that i hear in my head, really annoying when you know how you want something to sound but cant re-produce it

Depends how many hours you but in during that year, I guess.
It's been maybe 18 months for me
I've improved a lot:
On one hand, I reckon I can make a half decent attempt at making 90% of the sounds I hear in electronic music, I've learned how to put rhythms together so they fit, and I can just about write melodies when I need to (not that they come up much in dance music really)

On the other hand, I still can't mix, can't master, can't structure my tracks and can't make people dance.

I started in late 2010 and a year after that I had probably only done around 6-8 tunes and man I was much much much worse than I am now.
But you will continue to grow naturally just by listening closely to professional tracks and yours. You will notice the differences and there's always things you can improve and learn.
Try to actually think of melodies first sometimes. It can really help to just put in basic waveforms for your sounds and try to make the melody sound cool with those.
If you can do that, you already have a great starting point!

I improved drastically in approximately 3 month intervals over the first 2 years... I'm in my 3rd year and although still improving I feel my progress has slowed some...
That said I am moving toward a workflow that involves more recording processes. Kinda instrument focused I guess... I'm using mics a lot more than I did...
Still have what I consider 'major breakthroughs' often though.

Didnt made alot of progress in the fisrt year cause i switch from dubstep to hip hop , its really after the second year i saw big improvement with sound selection , composition and mixing ect . Now im on my third year producing and not fully satified yet but still improving new thing on each track . Really depend on each person some will be able to make crazy track after only 6 month while some other will never be able to produce something good ..

After 15 months I can say I've gotten way ahead of where I thought I would....

1 tune on Beatport
Support from established artists
Major compliments on all my mixdowns for being pretty clean

This isn't a bragging type post, but I do work a full time job and go straight home to produce tunes afterwards. It's really time consuming and gives me little time to go out with friends but if you work at what you want you will get it. Have a question? Don't waste hours fiddling around.. Look it up! If you know what you want but can't do it, find a tutorial. Thousands exist.

Structure building came easy for me as I have DJ'd for a lot longer than produced. I would use presets and still do, but I would tweak them a bit to give them my personal touch. A big part of learning comes from how efficient you are. That's my story.

Back