How to get alpha, delta and theta waves out of a sample?

Will_Bender

Hi there,

Am doing some studies in brainwaves and biofeedback, particularly by meditating over alpha, theta and delta waves; and, I was thinking it might be fun to make some recordings using them.

For reference sake, the frequencies of these waves are:

alpha = 7.5–12.5 Hz
theta = 4-6 Hz
delta = 0-4Hz

These frequencies may well be wrong. I know, for instance, there are two types of theta waves, but I dont know their specific frequencies. Additionally, there's also beta waves, and some others I know exist, although I dont know anything about them yet.

Anyway... my question is... how does one get samples frequency rates that slow on a synthesizer? I think middle C is like 261.6 Hz (well, okay, so I Googled it), but, anyway, if middle C is that fast, then the first C below middle C would be 130.5Hz, and the second C beneath middle C would be 65.25Hz, and the third C below middle C would be around 32Hz and so on. This begins to go out of range on the keyboard, however, so is there a way to just type in a frequency to a VST voice (which would be assigned to a key on a controller), and then play with that?

Thanks,

WB

Eh... probably should have added to that... I use FLS PE 10... I have a bunch of different VST's I could work with, but lets assume I was just using one of the standard ones like Nexus, Harmor or Harmless or one of the others that comes with FLS...

Hmmm...

yes

midi note numbers go as low as 8.18Hz = midi note number 0 (C five octaves below middle C)

however, you would be better off attacking it from another point of view - using rhythm as the key to creating these frequencies

8Hz is the same as saying 8 clicks per second, which at a tempo of 120bpm means 2 beats per second and 8 semiquavers/16ths per second

every frequency can be calculated accordingly

Last edited:
Most wave editors can generate basic waveforms at just about any frequency - but as said, you probably won't be able to reproduce them with anything, well, normal. Plenty of headphone manufacturers also claim that their stuff goes to as low as 5Hz but I seriously doubt that.

Back