How to easily sync (WEIRD TEMPO vocals) to music ?

Akulli

most of the acapellas i download have this weird tempo
for example 5 seconds it goes along with the beat
the next 5 seconds its totally off beat and the tempo of the vocals just keep changing
i wonder if there's a way to easily align and straighten up the vocals ?
or is there any way at all other than cutting and editing (which takes ages and sounds like shit) ?

i use fl studio 12
but if its possible in a different program, id still appreciate it.

Cutting and editing is - imo - the best way and definitely doesn't have to take ages nor sound like shit. Of course it depends on how detailed you want to be, but just cutting up into phrases isn't going to take very long and should already make the aligning much easier (unless, of course, you're in a completely different bpm to begin with).

Cutting and editing is - imo - the best way and definitely doesn't have to take ages nor sound like shit. Of course it depends on how detailed you want to be, but just cutting up into phrases isn't going to take very long and should already make the aligning much easier (unless, of course, you're in a completely different bpm to begin with).
really? how long does it take you to align a full song ? (remember it has very bad flow and needs a ton of editing)
and how does it not sound shitty ? the cuts sometimes click specially when you have to space out the words
----
and which one is best to remix ?
Align vocals > add to music ( needs to be cut and edited again obviously )
make music > add vocals
make music while adding vocals ?

if its personal choice what do you prefer ?

Last edited:
really? how long does it take you to align a full song ? (remember it has very bad flow and needs a ton of editing)
and how does it not sound shitty ? the cuts sometimes click specially when you have to space out the words

Hard to say any numbers that'd actually be of any use, but I guess anything from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on what the goal is or how detailed I want to get. An hour seems like a pretty long time for just editing though, so I guess it's usually less. Not that I do that much remixes anyway, but still - goes for any kind of vocal editing. Clicks are removed either by doing fades (just a few samples long) at the ends of clips or cutting at zero crossing, if possible.

----
and which one is best to remix ?
Align vocals > add to music ( needs to be cut and edited again obviously )
make music > add vocals
make music while adding vocals ?

I don't think the method should define what you're doing...but I guess if I had to choose, it'd be the last one, unless I very clearly know how to cut up the vox beforehand (which basically never happens). So I make music while editing the vox into it.

Haha, cheers. I guess the most important thing with this is simply learning your tools so you're really comfortable with them - learn keyboard shortcuts, which tool to use for which scenario and so on. It just takes some experience and patience to get good at it.

Haha, cheers. I guess the most important thing with this is simply learning your tools so you're really comfortable with them - learn keyboard shortcuts, which tool to use for which scenario and so on. It just takes some experience and patience to get good at it.

yah i will stop making music and just check out the tools for a while now
hopefully with this forum and people like you i will get better in no time

This is my method when vocals sound weird. If it's acapella from the song:

1- Load original song and acapella in your daw
2- Sync acapella to original song
3- Then sync them both to your project.

Original mix has transients and all information for you how acapella should be placed/stretched

And yes, chopping and stretching is another option but imo it's lame. But depends on situation

This is my method when vocals sound weird. If it's acapella from the song:

1- Load original song and acapella in your daw
2- Sync acapella to original song
3- Then sync them both to your project.

Original mix has transients and all information for you how acapella should be placed/stretched

And yes, chopping and stretching is another option but imo it's lame. But depends on situation

so acapellas are not exactly what is in the original mix ?
that is weird, i thought they just took out the instruments and the vocal would stay exactly how it was in the mix

so acapellas are not exactly what is in the original mix ?
that is weird, i thought they just took out the instruments and the vocal would stay exactly how it was in the mix

Sometimes acapellas have not the exact time-placement. Like in original song acapella starts from say 30 seconds, but not to put 30 seconds of silence in .wav acapella file, mixing engineer just cuts silence off.
Also in some cases people rap "weirdly" off-tempo, so it's barely possible to fit it in your song without referring to original

Back