How do you start your track creation?

marker853

Do you first lay down the drums? Or do you start with the main section, melody, synths ect... And build from there.

Do you first lay down the drums? Or do you start with the main section, melody, synths ect... And build from there.

It depends. As I like to link my songs to a theme, the first thing is to decide on what I want my music to be based on. Then, it will depend on the genre I want to produce: if it's drum and bass, I start by choosing the drum sounds, layering them, making them stick well together. Now, if it's dark ambient/industrial, I normally start by the ambient background drones.

I usually have rough idea of the track in my head before I start but I usually start with the drums then lead lines then add my bass and sub in and then work my way through the track

I start with the sample. And a lot of listening to it getting ideas. Then I start chopping, I try to be as surgical at this point as possible.
Once I have my chops, I lay down a guide beat or a break. (Sometimes I'll keep this guide and layer up from there but more often than not I'll scratch it after I lay down my chops)
Once my guide beat is down I lay down chops.
then I lay down the beat proper and begin layering process.
Add pans and level out what I have; maybe add compression and some verb.
Lay down bassline (either via keys/softsynth on on b-guitar)
Re-set levels/pans... Verb/Comp as required.
Arrange.
Move on to next sample.

I like to keep it simple. So, most times I like to create a melody, add some ear candy/sprinkles/sample, find a bass line then add my drums. However, sometimes I will just focus on making a dope 4-bar drum loop, fully mixed, and save it for later when I just feel like jamming. Hope this helps.

Back