How do you start? EDM foundations course experience?

dannykorrson

Hi Guys,

I've been fiddling around with Logic for the last 3 years and have recently bought a copy of ableton live.
I like the layout and mechanics behind it a lot and I want to build/expand my production knowledge in said DAW.

As far as my skillset goes, I have cluttered knowledge about producing. I know some stuff about sound synthesis and drum design, and some things about frequencies and EQ'ing. other than that, I've just been playing around without really improving. I've never finished a track as in the whole arrangement + mixing/mastering.

I have watched some youtube tutorials and masterclasses here and there, but never "actively" learned. My problem with youtube videos is that they don't really offer an outline which a book or a course provides, and I feel that an outline would allow me to use my time as effectively as possible. The advantage of a course like this is also that you produce some tracks start to finish.

Recently I've stumbled upon an EDM foundations course by sam malta, which offers a good package for a reasonable price. Unfprtunately, I couldn't find any useful reviews. I have found some similar courses online, which unfortunately were in the 1000$ upwards range.

Asking the more experienced producers on the board if you'd advise paying money for such a course to learn by doing or if you just would gather information on the interwebz?

tl:dr Did you learn producing by reading books/experimenting or did you follow a course?

Back