How do you register your "sights"?

bschaefer

Hey guys, I didnt find any thread like this (but I found some interesting threads about other things while searching), so sorry if it's repetitive.

I'm wondering how you guys wrote your ideas when you're away from the studio.
I think that most of us dont stay the hole day in front of a PC composing, mixing or doing your stuff
So, when you are doing your day-by-day stuff (like working, studying, etc), and then lights up an idea (a riff, a sound, a entire song), how do you wrote this to remind it later?

In my case, I work on a full-time job as designer. I listen to different kinds of music all day, and this is my most creative period of the day. If I could compose while working, I probably would finishing my 10th album, winning lots of money (lol). But after the work, I go to the college, where I stay until the end of the day. When I'm finally in home, I share some time with my girlfriend, and then, before go to sleep, I spend some time with music, but at this time, i'm tired and lost every idea or creativity from the day.

I have no problem to write a harmony or a melody. But when it comes to a general idea of a track, with the right samples, I just cant find a way to make me remind it later.

Anyone with a related problem?
Any tips?

Sorry for my english

Last edited:
The question feels like "should I learn sheet music"
Yes. Then there's just saving projects too, when I have an idea I usually just do it in reason or s1 but learning sheet music is prolly necessary for reminding.

The question feels like "should I learn sheet music"
Yes. Then there's just saving projects too, when I have an idea I usually just do it in reason or s1 but learning sheet music is prolly necessary for reminding.

I agree, read and write music in paper is veru usefull.
I used to play bass and keyboards, I know a little bit how to read and write sheet music (the basic). As I said, write harmony and melodies are not a great problem
Im referring to write, record (or whatever) general ideas, i mean, anything that comes to mind.

For instance, imagine that you are listening to some track in radio. You dont know the name of the track. Then you like some part of the music and think "I need to do something like this". At the end of the day you dont remember anything about it.
A synth sound, a sample, a pattern, anything that you want to register, how to deal with this?

I listen a lot of radio, so I was thinking on record some samples of tracks that I like, this could be helpful, but it will be definitely messy

Last edited:
Well that'll happen regardless but in general, learning synthesis, sound design and basic sheet music is ways to remember such and do originals and remixes etc.

I remember I used to just sample stuff not even knowing what I was even sampling in the first place years back lol but after a while you naturally wanna learn more about what you're doing as time passes if it becomes interesting enough to do so.

There's so many different ways to do the same thing, so many ways to go about the process that it'll be farfetched telling ya one method but as far as it is, it's a pretty useful one if you want to make songs like the radio or anything else.

Music theory and Sound design, which in itself is basically the shorter phrase for synthesis and sampling.

Last edited:
you can always record your thoughts to your phone (speak your ideas) and play back when you get back to your gear

Back