How do you name your beats ?

It depends on how important the beat is to me, and whether or not anyone is ever going to see it. Ones that get finalized and published usually have a name that has more meaning, but a lot of the material that gets tossed to the side has random names, or gibberish names haha.

Like most said already, it varies depending on how the beat made me feel at the moment. I try not to make titles like "beat 262" and instead do "dreaming (171)".

instrument/sound/bpm/key

kick.longtail.98.d#

this way I can pull up/search all my kicks or maybe im looking for a specific bpm or key

Last edited:
the first thing I do, is just start.
After a while I get the feeling that I wanna stick to the piece and then give it a name I can remember and include into the names of the tweaked samples ( that I mostly record from my hardware ).
Then it's time to make a short story and glue in into the music.
At this point I try to come up with a name that fits the story told in the lyrics and change the names of the samples I used into the new name + add a few notes to the sample names, so I can find them back easy later on.
My sample-names normally includes the hardware used, the preset (or saved edited preset incl sysx-name which I store on my harddrive) and the recorded bpm. At first it seems like a lot of work, but the enjoyment of finding stuff back beats the stress.

This way I can re-record any part that are somehow not to my pleasing and create or store/send my work the best way.

It helps to make some kind of code to shorten the names, normally I use the type of the brandnames of the hardware and the MIDIchannel. Make it something that you can decode after a few weeks of so.
When I started I used to use creative codes but looking back most of them I really can not decode, so I stick with the easy ones.

By being high and weird lol sometimes the names of my beats have nothing to do with the beat but just a thought I had, or sometimes I'll use the sample name and mash it up and come up with my own varitation of the name, almost like I flipped the sample by chopping it up and flipped the name by chopping it up.

I just name them whatever, it's not a big deal really.

I name them by date and genre, example: 19 April Trap 2014

If I make two i add some random shit to it like: 19 April Dope Trap 2014

I mostly name them by numbers. Due im not creating beats for very long I got a folder which contains about 15 beats, numbered from 1 to 15. Then two or three remixes whicht are named after the original track and another folder with unfinished tracks i might never touch again and they got pretty random names like "the one with much strings" :D so i read the title and know as precise as possible which beat it is, without opening it :D
And the ones i upload to soundcloud or whatever usually get "real" names which sound either cool oder suit to the beat or any word or sentence thats stuck in my head while producing

if you can come up with a hook, or a beat, surely you can think of a message, and there you got your name, just right for the job

Back