How do you make your beats sound more full?

eyo

I just started trying to seriously produce a couple days ago, but one thing that's stifling me is no matter what i do my beats sound empty. For example i tried to remake "Momma im sorry" off of the clipse album "Hell Hath no Fury" (just as practice to get use to FLStudio and learn what producers incorporate into their beats), and even though i listened and tried to make every sound just like pharrell, it seems like something is still missing.

ive attatched the remake i made, Anybody know what im doing wrong? as i said im using FLStudio 8 if that has anything to do with it

i cant listen right now, but my guess is you need: EQ, layering, not stock sounds, and panning

this is totally an assumption so im sorry if you have done these, ill check when i can listen

Yes, that song sounds like it has a lot of layering in it. Multiple synth lines playing at the same time.

Needs to be mixed. Sounds a little low for me.

Just wondering, was there a kick in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you need to learn how to mix better

But also to make things sound "fuller" you need some spatial effects, IE Reverb/Delay

Speaker-Head said:
Needs to be mixed. Sounds a little low for me.

Just wondering, was there a kick in there?

yeah there is, its almost inaudible for somreason even though i could hear it when i was making it, but yeah the kick is everytime the low tuba hits

and also, everyone thanks for the info, i guess i got some reading to do

when ever your mixing try to think more of the line of what could over power the vocals and what needs more umph in it. for example most synth's are pretty loud to begin with. you want to lower the volume a tad bit so that it doesnt over power the song. you want everything to flow nice and easily for example here is a beat that i recently was working on and mixed it down for you to hear..

this was made on FL8... its a very powerfull program just learn how to use the mixer they provide and it your projects will sound more alive.

If you have tracks with synth plugins you will find these synth sound full. This is more a factor if you using presets.They try to make them sound the best they can. They may have too much delay and reverb.
It's a good bet they are taking up alot of space. Sure they may sound great when the track is soloed but when it's played other tracks like the kick can get lost in the mix. You may need to make
eq cuts on your synth oand other tracks if you want a better mix.
Now I am sure when you are making they eq cut you will think the track does not sound as good as the eqing.. That does not matter.
It's how all the tracks sound together that matters most

It sounds like you mixed this on dynamic speakers or headphones. Without monitors you can't really get a true feel for the reality of your mix. As for fullness, you have a lot of things fighting for the same space. Like almost everybody said so far, EQ. It's key. Go and read as much on it as you can till your sick of the letters E and Q.
Than read some more.
and that non existent kick drum... Turn all the drums to zero, than bring the kick up till it sounds loud enough to you (not above 0 db... ever) and keep it centered (of course). Now bring up all the other drums around the kick and pan them out to different spots, while keeping the kick as the main focal or driving point of the drums.

I like to do the same thing with the Bass and the instruments. Bring up the bass (while the drums are playing) and pan the synths around it same as you did the drums.
Thats all just my preference.

there is a million and one ways to mix. these are tips that helped me out a lot.

I've been told (many times) my beats are good but they need to be mixed a little better. So try to learn the mix game & that will help. Also if you need to use some effects like attack, echo, delay, etc.. that will make sound not empty. Good luck.

Now I am sure when you are making they eq cut you will think the track does not sound as good as the eqing.. That does not matter.

Now these words above is words from a wise Man...

and thats what trick alot of Beat Makers that young in the Game...

Just because a sample sounds awful by itself doesn't mean it's not perfect for the Mix...

That makes alot of sense B-Real...

BKster

Back