how do you make atmospheric beats?

MessiahMarco

i was wondering how yo do make atmospheric beats? any suggestions on what to use? when i mean by atmospheric beats is something like this

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on several factors; a few of which include your definition for "atmospheric" (the example was a good thing to include, but to get a better idea, you'd probably need to add a few more so we can "aggregate" your views on "atmospherism"), and also what tools you have available and how you like to use them (do you have hardware? analog? digital? are you strictly "in-the-box?")...

As to this track, he could be using presets, software, hardware; lots of options, but in general, the "bell-like" piano sound indicates a not-so-great version of a Fender Rhodes with maybe chorus and some delay/reverb. The "bend-y" type sounds can be accomplished a number of different ways, but one could be using an analog delay unit with an expression pedal input to modulate the delay in real time. Atmospherics are also accomplished through compositional choices; which chords you play and how you voice them.

GJ

Experimentation leads to knowledge, learning what works, what fell flat and what is consistently working.
Learning Sound design in any increment is useful for creating sounds.

It depends on several factors; a few of which include your definition for "atmospheric" (the example was a good thing to include, but to get a better idea, you'd probably need to add a few more so we can "aggregate" your views on "atmospherism"), and also what tools you have available and how you like to use them (do you have hardware? analog? digital? are you strictly "in-the-box?")...

As to this track, he could be using presets, software, hardware; lots of options, but in general, the "bell-like" piano sound indicates a not-so-great version of a Fender Rhodes with maybe chorus and some delay/reverb. The "bend-y" type sounds can be accomplished a number of different ways, but one could be using an analog delay unit with an expression pedal input to modulate the delay in real time. Atmospherics are also accomplished through compositional choices; which chords you play and how you voice them.

GJ

what i mean by atmostpheric is beats that you can smoke to and just chill, i hope that makes sense, but anyway i use a MPC Renaissance.

I think pads, bells, plucked instruments with a lot of reverb on them. Of course, you can experiment with delay, phasers, flangers, low pass and whatever comes to your mind. If you're sampling, i think that pitching the sample lower creates that "smoke to and chill" vibe, and a lot of reverb will give it that "ambient" feel.

I make a lot of atmospheric tracks, You could start out with some VST's

Omnisphere has some great atmospheric sounds which you can tweak and modulate to your taste.
Signal by Output(A fairly new VST) is also great, not that hard to learn too! Signal works in Kontakt.

When working with FX, try to be original with the routing. Like, what happens when you use a Delay after a delay with different settings? Or use a reverb followed by distortion? Or a phaser, then a delay, then another phaser, then another delay, then a convolver?

Back