How do you guys make connections and meet people?

Go to lots of shows. That's the best way to meet people who share your taste in music. Then try to book shows with acts you like. Venues will be much more receptive to having you play if you can bring a whole showcase of 3-4 groups in with you and solve them the problem of booking a whole night.

Everyone's accessible.

What will separate you and help you excel in this business is the ability to find innovative ways to access people. Because once everyone figures out the last way to catch an artist in the studio, it becomes so popular the artist will switch up.

One way I always built relationships was contacting artists managers inquiring about what they charge for features and shows. I did promotion from time to time(this was in SoCal, mainly L.A.), knew other promoters, and knew artists looking for features. When an opportunity to make them money came across my table, I'd make them money, end up in the club, at the video shoot, or studio with them while making them money(which gives them a reason to keep in touch), then exchange info and start sending beats that they don't just brush off because they actually know the guy sending them.

There's a million other ways, just gotta be innovative and do more than the last guy who hit them up on twitter like "where do I send beats?"

Thank you for the suggestion! And which city do you recommend for a female songwriter/producer to make connections? (r&b/pop/funk) :o

Forget R&B/Funk. The demand for that is low. You want to make music that is in demand. Make Pop/Urban music like Rihanna. Move to Atlanta, New York, or Los Angeles to make connections.

Yeah, I guess people don't really plan out the networking side of things well. If you do it as an afterthought you'll probably regret it when you actually need someone to vouch for you or promote something.

I'm sure you have a YouTube account start uploading ur music there and send links via Twitter make sure you tag ur stuff good so people can find you if your good enough people will come

get to know people involved with radio stations, producers always want their stuff put on air so the djs on them will most likely know someone. going to events and clubs works too, also try remix contests if youre a producer

Use social networking to your advantage dude,follow other producers,give them feedback,like their posts n shit n slowly more and more will do the same,comment on rappers music often w your opinions,they check you out see what you do and bam you got yourself a new fan/follower.

just stay active online lmao. give feedback, as well as reach out for it. idk... just do what you can to get your stuff out there. advertise. market. etc..

I usually just cold email people. It may not be the most effective method, but it works sometimes.

Cold emailing people is generally not a good idea. If you do, make sure you do not just spam people.

Don't email someone, wanting them to give you some time, while you are spending no extra time to even contact them in the first place.

Last edited:
there is a website called meetup, search electronic music or music whatever, it will found meeting in your city. or join facebook groups. social media is the best thing we have

Cold emailing people is generally not a good idea. If you do, make sure you do not just spam people.

Don't email someone, wanting them to give you some time, while you are spending no extra time to even contact them in the first place.

No I never spam people, but I do request to speak with them via email. It's not the best method, but it has worked for me. I agree with you tho emailing people and wanting something from them is generally not a good way to go, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Back