How do you guys do your arps?

cartwheel1984

Do you guys put notes in piano roll or program in your vst?

Iv only ever used the piano roll myself to edit where I want my notes to be but been watching a few videos where they program them in their vst (sylenth and nexus)

whats better do you think?

I suppose it depends a bit on the instrument and the idea really. You definitely have more control over the arp in the sequencer of your daw, but if you're just looking for a classic arpeggiator then probably the arp function on the vst instrument is the smoother option. Some vsts also have great options for step sequencing and modulation etc.

Then I like to use an arpeggiator vst, Kirnu Cream. I highly respect this little thing..

i like to use the chord progression of the pad for the track im making then use the vst setting unless i want something specific

I usually just do them by playing the piano and learning your arps. It is actually pretty challenging and I think that the DAW way is kinda cheating musically wise haha but anyone can do them how they want :). I think the piano is the easiest. But I play piano so its easier for me and vise versa.

I put off piano playing because of sheet music software, the mouse, reason's rpg8/matrix and alligator and the sequencer in daws but learned scales and some chords on piano. That's the hardest thing in the world trying to do on piano what can be done on a mouse [drumming is opposite imo] :/

But at the same time, it'd make everything almost instant in terms of laying out tracks instead of taking a long time making a melody with a mouse. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put off piano playing because of sheet music software, the mouse, reason's rpg8/matrix and alligator and the sequencer in daws but learned scales and some chords on piano. That's the hardest thing in the world trying to do on piano what can be done on a mouse [drumming is opposite imo] :/

But at the same time, it'd make everything almost instant in terms of laying out tracks instead of taking a long time making a melody with a mouse. Decisions, decisions.

hmmm I guess it just depends on the person then I guess? See becuase I know how to write sheet music haha I study piano so like its easier for me I think. Arps are really hard to play on piano especially when you move up in scales from major to minor its all different. Its a challenge haha. to go to conservatory you have to play every scale in three octaves and also arps in every scale that shit is super hard!!!

I've done both. I think it's a good idea to practice both. Especially if you want to learn how to sequence a VSTi

That's another reason I put it off, it's hard man lol I either do the shortcut with the quavers on mouse or use the split to grid function or the arps.
Anything above simple is reserved for mousing for me. I can read it but can't do it in realtime beyond 10 bpm :O

But drums, and drummachines have no extra...ah. When drumming, don't really have to think about all that lol I just realized that.
Melodies require, a lot more it seems compared to drumming, all these theories to remember about triads, diads them dominants and augments eh.

I still use a midi piano for the simpler stuff, mostly riffs however.

I think anyone should learn the most they feel comfortable with. thats the best way with anyone haha

Back