How do you deal with negative feedback

Ibah Bano

I recently finished a song and sent it to music promotion channel on youtube when I finally got a response he said "No" I later asked him why hoping to get some feedback to improve but instead received a message saying that my song was shit.
I'm still new to producing and that was my first time sending a song to anyone (other than family or friends) and that really hit me hard and I'm not sure how to deal with this

Here's the song

" your song is shit " is not feedback. Tells more about that person then you.
Don't let words of a rude individual get you down. Wouldn't hurt to look into why it hit you hard. How's your self confidence?

Listening to your track my 1st comments would be to dial back your loudness. The EQ needs to be super tight to push it that far. I know we like to compete with the pros in loudness but it's better to be a few dB quieter rather than introduce mushy distortion from loudness compression.

Synchronize has a lot of good musical ideas but the mix is off. You should think about sending the stems to others. Their take on balancing your mix might give you a new perspective on how you want it to sound. I'd be up for giving it a go. Send me a message if you're interested, I may miss your reply in this thread.

If it's not anymore descriptive than "It's shit" move on and forget the individuals in question.
Work on your skills instead and pay no mind to non constructive criticism.

If you are looking to become a successful creative, you have to learn to be able to take criticism, although the feedback you received was not constructive, you will get a lot of it. Just do what you love and the rest will fall how it may.

you need to be realistic and understand where you are at in terms of experience and knowledge of music production and consider before you send to someone that has been doing it for a long time. At the same time replying with the "your song is shit" meme isn't something I would do unless that person talked a lot of shit.

Thanks a lot for your responses everyone it really helped I'm gonna work a lot harder on my music and try to learn new things

Also consider that if the channel you sent it to is very popular, that manager might be getting hundreds of tracks a day and simply doesn't have time to do any actual reviewing. Blunt and inappropriate as it may be, maybe that's just a rude way of saying "this particular track didn't interest me quickly enough to catch my attention so I dismissed it" - more than that he/she actually actively loathes it or thinks it's the worst thing ever. At least you got a reply :)

Think positive: he took at least the time to listen to it!
You're already further there than i have ever been!

Any major music channel has hundreds of submissions to deal with.

People are harsh sometimes but there's no need for them to be- that guy is just a bit of a dick and he probably gets a lot of spam.

If you want constructive feedback you can post here or head somewhere like cloudkillers, although you tend to get the opposite problem- people aren't critical enough even when your music is bad

personally, I wish someone would've told me I sucked a few years ago. I was posting shit all over the internet, paying for promotion..with delusions of grandeur. I listen to my old stuff and it's embarrassing. I wish someone would've told me the real deal. The people that did were too nice and made the issues sound subtle. I can take harsh criticism, actually, I prefer it. But I understand not everyone is the same. In the end, just make music that you like and do it because you like. Don't get caught up in simple opinions, people are different. But at the same time understand that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Yeah it seems like this guy was just trying to be a jerk. Don't listen to the meaningless verbal assaults that people sometimes throw at you. This person's response to you had no reasoning behind it at all and since there was no reasoning, nothing was really said. Don't get discouraged, producing music is difficult enough as it is so don't get mired down in these kinds of things. Instead use that time and energy to work on your music. Everyone has to start somewhere. :)

I recently finished a song and sent it to music promotion channel on youtube when I finally got a response he said "No" I later asked him why hoping to get some feedback to improve but instead received a message saying that my song was shit.

If you are going to be in an industry or choose a career path that requires the opinions of others as part of your craft progression, you have to understand that it is not personal for the most part. Discard anything that doesn't help you in any way, good or bad. Keep in mind that if you really had to would you want instruction or guidance from someone that gave you that response anyway? They may be busy, they may have a ton of excuses to behave and respond that way but bottom line is that someone who replies in that manner has nothing to guide you in life and you don’t want their tutelage or mentoring what so ever. There are people out there with vast knowledge and some very serious skillsets, true pros of their craft, that if asked the right way and given the time are more then willing to share with you. Don’t get discouraged just continue to hone your craft and you will succeed if you truly want it, continue to ask your question and be prepared for any answers you may not like, but if they come with a way to improve yourself then listen. The non constructive and negative comments,don’t let any of it rent your head space, they can’t afford it,and move on.

Last edited:
If the criticism is accurate and about the song then its better to be honest than...just nice. But sometimes a person will attack the person or just be mean, when its out of place. If the criticism is harsh but offers a solution to your problem, it's still constructive, and helpful.

Automatically presume your song is shit... to most people! The aim is to hopefully find some that don't think it is shit.
I think this is super important. Not everyone is going to like your music. Think about even the biggest artists in each genre right now. It's a guarantee that some people out there still think they suck. Just trust the process.

Your track is far better than the early stuff I was banging out online - even dropping into DJ sets, good lord how embarrassing.

In all honesty it sounds like this guy is a bit of a prick, but if you wanna do this music thing properly you will have to take some criticism along the way I guess. Turn it into a positive, etc. People who actually know what they're talking about will give you decent feedback and it will be constructive criticism.

Another thing to remember is that (as has already been mentioned) music is incredibly subjective - you can spend weeks (or months) on your mixdown, days and days of crafting a synth sound, but it is not going to be to everybody's taste and for every person who loves what you've done, there will always be someone who doesn't.

And finally - make sure you like your music. Be your own biggest fan.

Back