How do I tell my parents that I wanna be a rapper/hip-hop artist?

reecemm

Hey guys.. I'm a 16yo male from London, UK. I've been writing since I was ~ 13, improving lyrics, flow and other needed skills. I want to start recording, but I still get nervous about spitting near people. My lyrics and flow are complimented often by friends and acquaintances when going in on a mainstream chart songs...
Anyway, my dad is some-what middle-upper class (don't live with him. Talk often) and my mum(who I live with) is supportive with everything that I do., but once told me "music isn't for everyone" when I mentioned joining the industry aged ~ 9. This probably wasn't personal.

However, I can't bring it to mention I wanna buy a mic and start spitting my writtens.. I guess It's because I still don't have the confidence to rap loudly. Well, loud enough that she hears me in the next room. I only rap loudly (properly) when she's out.

I'm sure someone here had/has a similar issue. Also, my dad still doesn't know I listen to rap. I think he would disagree with my music tastes. I know this is what I want to do, and they can't change my mind.

Thanks for reading this all...

Reece

UPDATE: This shouldn't matter, but I'm white. Thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Buy a mic and an audio interface - get a tape together and see where it goes.
You're in London - so there's no shortage of cyphers and open mic nights (do your research) for you to show your face at. Network. Rap with other people. Receive feedback and roll with it.

Stay on top of the other stuff in your life though... Put the work in at school and your mum will most likely not have a problem with your extra-curricular activities.
your dad sounds like a non-issue. Keep your mum sweet AND so your thing.

You shouldn't of mentioned it.

You know... you care much about other people think about you being a rapper and this is killing your will to become one. So, basically is: if you're sure you want to have this for your life, go and do it. If not, then you'll be in risk of regreting it later.

I can sympathise with you...a lot of people I used to be friends with had the desire to be rappers, but ultimately just didn't ever get on a stage.

The truth is, you can be a famous musician. It just takes the dedication, practise and the will to get out there and be heard.

From reading your post it sounds like you are still at the early stages if you aren't performing yet, which is totally cool. Everyone starts out somewhere. As mentioned above, the first thing I would do is get a microphone and an audio interface. It doesn't have to be massively expensive; the first microphone I bought for rappers was a Shure SM58 and the interface was an Alesis io2. There may be better alternatives, but these worked fantastically for me and I mixed the vocals down on my PC. Get confident with recording music and uploading it to YouTube then once you're feeling like you're ready to take the next step, let your family listen (preferably to a friendlier track!!).

Don't feel like you need to tell everyone today or tomorrow...do it when you're ready.

I'm from the UK and I make beats. If you want any to practice to, I can send a few over for free.

I always struggled with that when I was younger, I listened to rap as well. My parents were probably a lot like yours, they wouldn't be so accepting of it, or would just say to turn that shit off. So I just kept it to myself. If I were you I'd just do it, it will show that you are gaining confidence and becoming your own person. Don't worry about pleasing mom and dad, sometimes you just have to say **** all of that and do what your heart desires.

Make a song and play it for your parents. If they like it, you can become a rapper. If they don't like it, stop rapping.

LOL. If you want to just have your hopes and dreams governed by what your parents agree and don't agree with, do this. *Gags*

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys.. I'm a 16yo male from London, UK. I've been writing since I was ~ 13, improving lyrics, flow and other needed skills. I want to start recording, but I still get nervous about spitting near people. My lyrics and flow are complimented often by friends and acquaintances when going in on a mainstream chart songs...
Anyway, my dad is some-what middle-upper class (don't live with him. Talk often) and my mum(who I live with) is supportive with everything that I do., but once told me "music isn't for everyone" when I mentioned joining the industry aged ~ 9. This probably wasn't personal.

However, I can't bring it to mention I wanna buy a mic and start spitting my writtens.. I guess It's because I still don't have the confidence to rap loudly. Well, loud enough that she hears me in the next room. I only rap loudly (properly) when she's out.

I'm sure someone here had/has a similar issue. Also, my dad still doesn't know I listen to rap. I think he would disagree with my music tastes. I know this is what I want to do, and they can't change my mind.

Thanks for reading this all...

Reece

UPDATE: This shouldn't matter, but I'm white. Thought I'd mention it.

I'm sure your parents want the best for you. However, I think it would be best for you to invest your own money into a mic and other recording gear; instead of going to them for money. You'll have more appreciation for the craft when your money is used to start this career path...

best thing to do is just start doing it and see how you get on, if you dont want to annoy your parents then work around them. youll then either decide to stick with it or not

Stay in school / get a job & do your rapping ting on a side until it blows up bro, don't put all your eggs in one basket because nothing's certain but death.

Hello! Looks like you have got some good advice through the posts in this thread. I mean, remember there is no rush, I mean of course you need a sense of urgency in life otherwise you will get nothing done, but at the same time, we are living in times where technology allows us to make music on the side in combination with an other career, my point is who says you even have to tell your parents right away, you could work on something else too at the same time? Although I Am on a forum filled with musicians, I must say that is right, music isn't for everybody, If it was, we would be facing certain doom! Imagine a world with no Doctors, Surgeons, Mechanics, Plumbers and lots of other people that we need to function in this modern society. Best of luck with it!

Thanks so much guys. This really helped me answer some questions I had, and it was great hearing your ways to overcome this situation. Respect to you'll, and good luck in your music/music career.

Back