How do I get to produce someone?

Lil Fen

Hey, so I've been making beats and sometimes recording myself over them for 2 months or so. My goal is to be a self-produced rapper (for the most part) and producing tracks for people. I consistently post my beats on SoundCloud, finish WiPs, I just follow the advice of every major producer youtuber out there, in general, I have fun making beats. But just seeing how none of them get noticed (most I got is 38 plays on a WiP beat and now I get about 3-5 on a new track) is kind of discouraging. Now I'm not really active on social media, I don't have a big enough following (also most social media sites I'm on, I have people from my school following me and it'd be embarrassing to self-promote), and the experience closest to producing was one time when a friend came over and recorded. In general, he's interested in recording more and I'm always happy to provide someone with my phone as a mic. The problem is that I know I can't provide the tech needed for proper studio recordings. I also live in Bulgaria, so even if I did, nobody could come and record with me. I just want to have someone, a no-namer like me, whom I can speak with, send him some beats, get his vocals, and produce a song for him. I can't go about finding anyone, though. So how do I get to approach people to produce their tracks? Should I be the one to approach an artist or should they approach me?

Hey Fen. I'm fairly new myself as a producer, but I could give some advice that is vital for success.

So what I got from this post was that you are unable to afford hardware to record vocals, and you live in a area were hip hop culture isn't that big (You could use this to your advantage).

Don't stress about the hardware. You don't need it yet. Unless you're looking for a microphone, I suggest the Rhode NT1. It's about $140 USD and is very high quality for a commercial microphone. There's no need to worry about MIDI Controllers as a beginner. I wouldn't classify my music as a beginners work, and I don't use any MIDI Controllers. Now we're left with networking. Since Bulgarian Hip Hop isn't as big on the International Scene compared to the U.S or U.K, This could be used to your advantage (Dedication and Hard work will pay off). If you're really concerned about your progress as a producer, I suggest finding a talented rapper to star on your beat. Otherwise don't worry about networking if you're just beginning. Let the beat speak for itself, and you will attract more customers/acquaintances as you progress.

I Hope This Helps! :)

Don't stress yourself in the early stages of music. I do this all the time. I worry about my music never being heard, which makes me work harder in the studio. It just causes anxiety. Take it easy and let creativity make you.

Find one lane for now and aim toward it, if you want to rap, focus on all it entails and work on finding a producer that does beats in the style you like.

You can always produce as time goes by but it entails theory, composition, mixing, mastering (the last two you can leave to someone else) etc.

Do not focus at all on social media as it is a time suck and a trap as anything that you post will be shared by anyone once it is out there for the taking, literally.

Back