How do I expand as a new artist?

Drachensoul

Hello friends, does anyone here have any tips on growing a community behind your production? Perhaps tools for promoting your music or soundcloud following?

I'd love any input on how to expand, thanks!

When people listen to your music, is the feedback mostly positive? Does it compare well against your favorite artists?

Last edited:
ya, there are a lot of answers. You have to offer something with quality. You need to get out and be heard. You do this by gigging and playing or shows, or getting your face on youtube. YouTube will build up views faster than Soundcloud (there are a ton more people using YouTube over soundcloud) but cross link and people will start to trickle into wherever you post stuff. it takes time, man (or women), it takes time. Don't rush it or get discouraged. Have fun producing music, and it'll all start to fall in place. I'm not very far at all (yet), and it's taken me 7 years to get where I am, but as long as antifa doesnt kill me, i have many more years to go.

Oh, and it builds on it itself. So it gets easier to grow and maintain the following over time, ...the first 100 are the hardest. The second million are easier, theoretically..

but idk, right now, i get a couple new followers everyday, but i guess some people dip out on me as well, because it's always up and down. of course, me saying dumb shit on snapchat on the daily can't help, so be careful with your image on social media. (if you use it) lol cheers yo

It's good to meet ya.

Last edited:
Do face to face networking as you are in a state with a Hip Hop scene and know that everything about social media is data mining and attempting to replace physical connection with virtual which is a lose-lose situation. The only winners for social media are the tech firms.

You can do face to face, but you'll move a lot slower that way. You can reach thousands - millions of people from around the world online, all at the same time, 24/7. It's much quicker.

If you do choose to go face to face, go face to face with larger crowds. Don't go face to face to people one by one. That's a huge waste of time and it will actually hurt your name. Singled out people have no interest in hearing your pitch, and if you bug them too many times, you'll lose their ears forever. They'll associate your name with annoying and will actually work against you. You definitely don't want somebody telling their friends that your name is bad, especially when you're starting out. People in a large group are much easier to persuade into following you because of the group think. If somebody sees that hundreds of people are crowded around you, they'll feel more comfortable joining the crowd and making it 101.

If you can't form a large crowd yet, that's okay. Like I said earlier, and even at this point, don't go to people one by one (just please don't get accustomed to doing this, period...). Try to leverage somebody else's crowd. See if they'll let you play before them to the crowd they've gathered. Or maybe they'll add your music and merch to their table, or give you a shout out during their show. This is much quicker. And this way, you'll get more eyes and ears exposed to your talent, all at the same time.

But ya, sure...face to face is good, and everyone should go to their local crowds, but be aware that it's almost year 2020. Don't be completely stuck in the 90s when your competition is looking and moving into the 2020s.
Having a online presence that can attract a lot of people from around the world, 24/7 (even while you sleep) is by far the most effective.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back