How to complete tracks from basic ideas

MarcWilliams

I find that making build-ups and melodies is relatively easy however I have difficulty transitioning between different parts of a track. any help?

Listen to a lot of music and analyze how they fix their transitions. Keep an open mind and listen to various genres and styles, so you don't get stuck on a specific thing and then start sounding like someone else.

Also, just keep producing and you'll learn from it.

^^ Agree.

You think you understand song arrangements until you actually sit down one day and actually critically and carefully analyze a full arrangement and its elements. Youll notice things in songs you've loved for years that you had no idea were there. All these little things build up to one listening experience, if it weren't for those little things the song would be bare and nothing.

Bottom line is just analyze a ton of different productions, what comes in where, what effects are used...EVERYTHING. Once you strip a song down to nothing and literally have its entire contents written out on a piece of paper, it gives you SO much more confidence to be able to finish and arrange your own music. It takes it away from being this big piece of art, into basically just an instruction manual on how to put it together. Gave me a ton of confidence once i started closely analyzing music.

Back