how can i make my beats bump more?

MessiahMarco

im having trouble making my beats bump more. i cant seem to make the kicks sound good. they sound awkward in the beat. any tips or advice on how to make my beats bump better?

you're probably using terrible kick samples
and not mixing your drums correctly with your lead instrument,etc...
post a sample of your work and maybe we can help

this is why I waited for you to reply - your first post seemed to imply a musical issue not a mix issue but couldn't be certain

without samples of your work advice as to how to make the patterns better will be hit and miss (sort of like what you are saying is happening now anyway)

im using 808 kicks. i just cant seem to get a good rhythm. when i try it sounds awkward

you might have to post a video so we can help you better....you have to understand your beat...its all about rhythm....you have to put you 808 kicks in the right spot.....are you useing a metronome??????this all counts when you are lying a beat down.......and dont forget you need to know what tempo you need for your beat ........

To me, it sounds like you need to layer your kicks.
Although I often use an 808 as part of my kick-sound it's never what I would describe as the main part of its 'body'...

On a side note, mix wise, ppl tend to oversee the fact you have to mix in your drums on pitch as well. Or, you pick a drum sample that is in key.

i havent saved any of my samples because they dont really sound to good. its just the kicks i cant seem to get. the kicks make my beats have no rhythm. thats all i really need help with

i havent saved any of my samples because they dont really sound to good. its just the kicks i cant seem to get. the kicks make my beats have no rhythm. thats all i really need help with

however, without audio examples of what is wrong with your kicks we can't really offer you advice on how to fix the problem(s)

If your kicks throw off the rhythm of your tunes you probably wanna learn how to make music will staying on beat with a metronome. Watch videos on YouTube of cats making beats and you'll start to see how other people lay their kicks down. It also helps to tap a beat on the table or him along to whatever you got going on before you lay stuff down so you can get a better idea of where things should go.

If you have questions about the actual mixing portion, I suggest looking up how to EQ your sounds and understanding how compression works

Back