How can I convert loops from FL Studio into a smooth song? If not should I change DAW

RichieC

Hey all, I'm a beginner to audio production and I like instrumental/hip hop type music. I would like to go for a the weeknd, Ilovemakonnen(Tuesday), singing sound. I bought FL Studio Producer thinking it would be great for making instrumentals. However, over time I realized that everything sounds so choppy, since it is essentially just playing a loop over and over again. I did some more research and I found out that DAW like Logic are meant for MIDI and are good for song creating.

What should I do? Can I get music quality from FL Studio? If not, what DAW would be suitable? I currently don't own a MAC, but I may buy one just to get another DAW.

Thanks. :cool:

You don't fully understand how FL studio works if you think it just makes loops. The step sequencer is where you can make a loop, then you use the PLAYLIST to organize and sequence your loops and sounds into a song. I recommend doing a little research about how to use FL studio. Around half the hip hop songs on the radio in the past 5 years were made on FL Studio.

Uhm, the question I have is how exactly do you think music in DAWs are made? Since you went and spent your money on FL studio, I highly suggest you have a go at getting to know how it works, and how music creation using similar kind of software is actually done before you run around and buy new stuff.

The fact that you came here today asking this question tells me you have little to no idea what's going on, and FL studio is very capable of creating these "smooth" songs as you call it, using nothing but loops. I wouldn't know a single person who would make a full hip hop beat using a single midi clip the way I think you think it should be done, because after a few patterns you're probably going to go back to a starting point anyway, so you would be looping your pattern which is no different than using shorter loops and playing them one after the other.

I would say buy a MAC and then buy Logic. You will improve just by switching. Logic has a better sound engine than FL Studio and it is on a MAC, which doesn't get viruses. It will cost some money, but you gotta invest in yourself instead of being cheap.

How do you think he would improve by purchasing an overpriced computer and switching daws when he doesn't even know how to make it in FL studio? You can get all the basics down and you could produce some proper music in FL studio as well if you know how to make music in the first place. I'm certainly not a FL studio fanboy, I don't even use it and haven't done so in 10 years.. But for you to say he should get all those things, saying it will improve something that doesn't even exist yet is just plain ignorant.

Also my pc will never get a virus!

I kinda see what y'all tellin him...heh.
[Tro]
No seriously though, gotta learn that pattern daws work different than track daws.
also depend on you.you gonna struggle with fl if you dont use time signatures or rely on tempo.
track daws is mo leania in that regard imo.

But if you not heed, can always do what DT said hehe...
[mac/waves/loads of dongles]Meh, I recommened figuring out what you're trying to do.
fl studio would have to be melded manually since pattern mode isn't like playlist mode in flex-tech.

Last edited:
Since you went and spent your money on FL studio,
IF he spent his money, at all.

It's funny how on the first thread I open today I have the same "what's the best DAW", albeit in a different question.

I think that the solution to op's problems is to practice more into his abilites. Changing DAW won't make any difference in this situation, IMO.

IF he spent his money, at all.

It's funny how on the first thread I open today I have the same "what's the best DAW", albeit in a different question.

I think that the solution to op's problems is to practice more into his abilites. Changing DAW won't make any difference in this situation, IMO.

Yeah it's quite obvious to me. If you are not familiar with how to make a track sound "smooth" using looped clips or anything like that, you're not suddenly going to become familiar with it in a new DAW.

Last edited:
I would say buy a MAC and then buy Logic. You will improve just by switching. Logic has a better sound engine than FL Studio and it is on a MAC, which doesn't get viruses. It will cost some money, but you gotta invest in yourself instead of being cheap.
:4theloveofgod:

Lol. It's not 1999 bro. Your wrong on all accounts.

Right. You can't just go buy a mac and get logic or pro tools and expect all your problems to be solved. If anything they will get worse. Just learn FL Studio. You invested in it so learn to master it to the best of your ability.

Hey all, I'm a beginner to audio production and I like instrumental/hip hop type music. I would like to go for a the weeknd, Ilovemakonnen(Tuesday), singing sound. I bought FL Studio Producer thinking it would be great for making instrumentals. However, over time I realized that everything sounds so choppy, since it is essentially just playing a loop over and over again. I did some more research and I found out that DAW like Logic are meant for MIDI and are good for song creating.

What should I do? Can I get music quality from FL Studio? If not, what DAW would be suitable? I currently don't own a MAC, but I may buy one just to get another DAW.

Thanks. :cool:

It almost sound like you're going for a live performance type of production style, is that accurate? I ask because The Weeknd is a performer...

Trust me, getting a Mac and switching to Logic will do wonders. The sounds are just crisper and the DAW interface is more intuitive for creating songs.

FL Studio is good for simple loops and beats. It can even be used to make songs. But the sound quality and software configuration of Logic is just better. The OP should just go for it and make the switch. If he invests the money in his music, he is going to invest the time as well.

Many of the FL Studio heads are just used to using it and need to experience the difference. These things matter for those that want to do music as more than a hobby.

quoted for the hilarity and icon bashing included in the body of the text

quoted for gullibility

Lol. It's not 1999 bro. Your wrong on all accounts.

quoted for gullibility

And here I am using FL in Windows 8... Now I feel cheap as hell.

quoted for gullibility

Right. You can't just go buy a mac and get logic or pro tools and expect all your problems to be solved. If anything they will get worse. Just learn FL Studio. You invested in it so learn to master it to the best of your ability.

quoted for gullibility

Trust me, getting a Mac and switching to Logic will do wonders. The sounds are just crisper and the DAW interface is more intuitive for creating songs.

FL Studio is good for simple loops and beats. It can even be used to make songs. But the sound quality and software configuration of Logic is just better. The OP should just go for it and make the switch. If he invests the money in his music, he is going to invest the time as well.

Many of the FL Studio heads are just used to using it and need to experience the difference. These things matter for those that want to do music as more than a hobby.

quoted for the hilarity and icon bashing included in the body of the text

My input: desire is our resident trickster/jokester: he is poking fun at the ridiculousness of the op's problem and errant logic that his problems can be fixed by moving daw.

if you are not familiar with his trickster ways then it seems like he is being genuine in his suggestions

all other issues aside:

changing your daw will not change your skill levels or knowledge and understanding of how to process and edit audio in musical ways

Last edited:
My input: desire is our resident trickster/jokester: he is poking fun at the ridiculousness of the op's problem and errant logic that his problems can be fixed by moving daw.

if you are not familiar with his trickster ways then it seems like he is being genuine in his suggestions

Damn you desire, damn you. To that, I say:

lel.

haha dang thanks for the advice. He does sound like he's being for real.
I guess the reason I came to this is because I feel like when I'm trying to mess around with the program, I'm not really progressing at all.
I have a hard time making things even sound cohesive when it comes to making loops so I thought maybe the process in other DAWs would be better.

haha dang thanks for the advice. He does sound like he's being for real.
I guess the reason I came to this is because I feel like when I'm trying to mess around with the program, I'm not really progressing at all.
I have a hard time making things even sound cohesive when it comes to making loops so I thought maybe the process in other DAWs would be better.

read the manual and watch Youtube videos
Warbeats > Home is a great resource and he also has beginner videos on youtube..(youtube the free classroom) but there are bad teachers on Youtube be careful..
have FL Studio open you're watching videos
and try things out in real time
don't watch videos then fire up FL Studio 2 hours later or the next day
real time is the key!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter what DAW you use just as long as you know how to use it. I've used Logic and Mpc software than used protools to record audio honestly Logic has presets and virtual instruments, but i've heard better sounds from my buddy using FL studio. I am a sample based producer so i'd rather use mpc because I know it and it is way more efficient when it comes making a beat than logic as of now.

changing your daw will not change your skill levels or knowledge and understanding of how to process and edit audio in musical ways
Holy crap, bc. I felt like these gigantic words were slapping me in the face when I reached your answer.

Quoted for assertivity.

Back