How to acheive: Drumroll type Snare pattern in Boom-Bap?

DenzelAy

I've heard alot of people use this technique when producing Boom-Bap tracks. I don't know how to describe it but there's a little "drum roll" before the snare on the 1st beat of every other bar (I think)

You can hear it here: TV For Idiots (Feat. Prince EA) | Lyrically iLLz

I'm trying to re-create this drum pattern. The thing I'm mainly concerned about is the "Drum-Roll" type sound but if you can offer any other advice as well, for example how to get my hats to sound like that, or how to mix the sound of the snares, that would be appreciated as well.

This is what I put but I'm pretty sure the snare part is wrong.
[see picture]

drumroll.jpg

View attachment 42584

You don't need your midi data overlapping all disorganized like that. Change your Snap setting and press "Shift+D" to resize your notes to fit the snap setting.

What I did was set down 4 steps in the Step Sequencer, sent the data to the Piano Roll, "Shift+D" to resize my note data to a 'Step' Snap settings, "Ctrl+A" to select all midi data, "Alt+U" to open the Chopper Tool, and I chopped the notes by "0.500". I then changed the note velocities to give it a more natural feel.

Last edited:
Lmao thanks man. I was looking way too deep when I was trying to recreate by ear. Thanks though. Now I just need to know how to make my drums sound better with the mixers

Lmao thanks man. I was looking way too deep when I was trying to recreate by ear. Thanks though. Now I just need to know how to make my drums sound better with the mixers

Do you mean how to mix your drums properly? Or just simply linking your drums to the mixer?

Back