House Music/EDM Build Ups and Transitions?

C.G. Productionz

The Certified Genius
Hey guys,

I have a question that some of you might be able to help me with, especially if you have experience with any EDM beats. Im looking for any tips on creating your typical epic EDM build (see around 2:55 of the Fergie video below) or if you guys know of any good kits that come with nice stock transitions. Im working on a hip hop track with a major transition from chorus to verse and it sounds awkward without the proper transition so I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thank you.

I looked up some FL Studio tutorials on it because I use FL Studio

listen to my track below and tell me what you think of my build ups throughout the track I'm new to EDM genre so I'm in the same boat as you
but Youtube to learn how to make them or you can buy a Rise/Build-ups sample pack that will have your typical white noise,sweeps,etc...
automation is your friend too!!
what DAW are you using???

-Coach Antonio
My ebay Store

I use FL Studio and I had tried looking on Youtube but couldnt find anything too decent. Yours are actually well done, Im also in FL myself

builds are usually of the form

noise lifts/rises
drums increase the rhythmic density of one or more parts (i.e. snare rolls, etc.)
lead line keeps going up and up and up and up....
dynamics (louds and softs) increase dramatically then drop.....

try cutting lets say the last to bars off. then maybe have the lead or wot ever midrange sound in the chorous on a cut off freq. play around with it see wot happens, but have maybe the first 2 bars of the chorus stutter in bringing the cutoff freq up. that way uve kinda let the listener know theres a section change. if ur gd wit chords maybe a bridge or sumthing

You gotta really listen to the music and ask yourself what your hearing in. The transitions.. It's usually white noise... Risers and some audio effect

Take any random sound....I mean any one that you want.....add some heavy reverb to it.....then add a phaser.......add a bit crusher vst.....throw a filter on after that if you want to............infinity transitions.

Take any sound....I mean any one you want.....take even an old beat you made if you want use that. Use a glitch type vst...don't have one then find you a free one online somewhere. Infinity transitions.

Nothing gets you starter quicker than the old "reverse gong trick"........yep... the good old reversal of sounds with long tails.....gotta love it..........verb it, phase it, crush it, glitch it, chorus it, eq it, filter it, reverse it, delay it, echo it........................wow is that an effect or is it my computer can't handle all of this awesomeness?

I don't use FL Studio....but hey.....take a hi hat............any hi hat.........fill all of the steps in on the sequencer thingy or whatever. Add reverb at 100%. Add a phaser and tweak it to taste......have fun. :D

Thank me later.

Last edited:
Back