Hiring a Musician

caycay

I'm a producer, and I have instrumentals that I'm trying to get redone, with live recording on them. When hiring a musician to record, live, some of the parts of your instrumental, what type of contract should you give the musician? I want to retain full credit and rights for everything...

any help appreciated, thanks

To mods: (didn't mean to repost, meant to put the original thread in this section)

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in. I'm not an expert.

But I would expect that there has to be an understanding from the beginning that you own all rights to the work, including all creative input he/she may provide. And you'll have to pay the musician more hourly or for the job because of this.

Session musicians are generally paid for their time and then credited for the instrument laid down... Unless the had a hand in actually writing the track (and can prove that) they don't own any rights to it.
I have a good friend who sometimes lays down guitar parts for me and although he doesn't charge me he normally charges £75 (GBP) plus expenses for session work. We're a long way from London where his fee is considerably more and includes B&B.
The credit is important to him as it adds to his portfolio (thus getting him more work) but he's not interested in owning rights to other people stuff as he's got his own thing going.
Most session players will be of a similar mindset.

My advice would be to find a player whose style suits what you as a producer are trying to achieve and then talk to them about the way they work. There needs to be a 'fit'.
A recording session isn't just about you - every participant needs to be comfortable and have a clear understanding of their role in the project and the expectations set upon them.

Last edited:
Back