Hi, Newbie with some questions.

snerkler

I've been flirting with dance music production for a while but in reality done very little. OK I did create a track (well remix) using Logic Pro 9 but it was very basic slicing, sampling and sequencing.

I've now taken the decision to stop playing about and learn it properly. I would like to go back to the fundamentals of learning how sounds are created, how these are affected by filters, what modulators do, what LFOs are, envelopes etc etc, preferably without too much physics. Ok so I realise that it's mainly physics but what I don't want is a load of baffling mathematical equations etc.

Does anyone know of any good books on this kind of thing, or source of good literature?

Any help appreciated.

P.S. I've always loved the Roland TB-303 but they're too expensive for me so am looking at the TB-03, or Cyclone TT-303. Does anyone have experience of using both and can say which has the better Acid 'squelchy' sound? Also, apart from the looks are there any disadvantages of the Cyclone TT-303 Mk2 over the original as I'm struggling to find any of the originals in the UK.

Last edited:
I think most of the information for what you're looking for is online. It's one of the "technologically advanced" subjects so teachers and authors are using technologically advanced ways to get it to you. books...? idk, yes there are some books on DAWs and synthesis but the internet has a lot more info. :)

I think most of the information for what you're looking for is online. It's one of the "technologically advanced" subjects so teachers and authors are using technologically advanced ways to get it to you. books...? idk, yes there are some books on DAWs and synthesis but the internet has a lot more info. :)
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured books would be limited but I do prefer reading from paper rather than a screen ;)

Do you know of any good sites with the info I'm after as the only ones I managed to stumble across are filled with confusing mathematical equations :hmmm:

The more I look into this the more I realise that I'm out of my depth. I don't even understand buses, or any of the software/hardware lingo, or where to start looking for this info. This is going to be a very steep learning curve :bigeyes:

@snerkler don't worry about the lingo, and as you say you're looking to know how sounds are created, are you looking to try a synth and/or synths?

buses are "groupings" for certain aspects of the song. For example, you make a drum bus to combine all of the individual drum tracks. Once they're combined in a bus, you can affect them all, as an entire group, while not affecting the melodies, basslines, etc.. (a bus is something with multiple smaller things put inside of it).

Go for the basics first, and move through the various learning levels (grades?).

haha, you'll get it. :)

Last edited:
You certainly need not to understand mathematical equations or much about physics to understand the basics of synthesis or its components (like those you listed). Start from a basic tutorial like this and then ask supplementary questions about the things that go over your head. Also, most of these things are easy enough to get a grasp of simply by taking a simple synth (a free VST like TAL Noisemaker will do for starters) and messing around with it while reading a tutorial.

As for the 303 clones, I haven't heard the TB-03 in person, the Cyclone is fine (and real analog unlike the Roland). Most of the time people squabble over minute differences because they don't sound exactly like the 303 they once heard somewhere, but you can definitely do acid with all and any of them just fine.

Back